There were away wins for both Carlow and Kerry in the opening round of Division 2A of the Allianz Hurling League this afternoon, and London and Westmeath drew in Ruislip.

Reigning Walsh Shield champions Carlow, minus their Mount Leinster Rangers contingent, delivered an impressive 1-18 to 1-09 win over Kildare at St Conleth's Park, Newbridge.

The sides were well matched in the opening stages, with Gerry Keegan firing all of Kildare's early points. The sides were tied at 0-04 apiece after 18 minutes.

Carlow stole a march before the break, with points from Marty Kavanagh, Andrew Gaule and Sean Murphy on target to help them to a 0-08 to 0-05 interval lead.

The visitors moved five points clear inside 10 minutes of the restart, but Kildare worked hard.

A Paul Divilly goal ensured a 0-14 to 1-07 score-line in the 50th minute, but Carlow stood firm, with Kavanagh registering a 66th-minute goal on the way to a nine-point win.

Kerry were goal-hungry in their 4-24 to 3-09 win over Derry at Ballinascreen.

Wind assisted, the visitors led by 0-03 to 0-00 early on, but a 10-minute goal from Paddy McCloskey drew the contest.

However, Shane Nolan was impressive for the visitors, and netted their opening goal after 15 minutes, to ensure a 1-05 to 0-00 lead.

Aidan Boyle added Kerry's second goal, and they led by 3-12 to 2-01 at the break.

Daniel Collins netted Kerry's fourth goal inside 10 minutes of the restart, to push the visitors 4-14 to 2-03 ahead.

Derry worked hard with Jonathan O'Dwyer netting their third goal, and scores from Oisin McCloskey, Alan Grant, Chrissy Convery and Brendan Rogers but it was too late.

A last-gasp Conor Hickey point earned London a share of the spoils in their 0-13-all draw with Westmeath at the Emerald Grounds in Ruislip.

It was Westmeath who showed strongly early on and they led by 0-05 to 0-01 at the end of the first quarter, with Noel Conaty hitting three points for the visitors.

The Exiles worked hard, but Westmeath maintained their three-point lead at the interval, on a 0-07 to 0-04 score-line.

London rallied, with the sides deadlocked at 0-10 apiece, with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Westmeath moved three points clear, but London registered three unanswered points, including Hickey's late equaliser.