Ireland’s women’s hockey team achieved silver in the Champions Challenge I tournament after they were defeated 3-1 by USA, who secured gold in Glasgow. 

Ireland competed well from the start opening up the scoring in the third minute from an unconventional corner routine which paid off, captain Megan Frazer with the raised shot which was batted down and in by striker Emma Smyth to make it 1-0.

Both sides battled hard but the USA finally equlaised in the 25th minute when Selenski slammed home from close range.

USA took the lead in the 33rd minute thanks to a set piece corner, Nichols with the conversion courtesy of a deflection over the keeper.

Ireland started the better in the second half but despite a penalty corner in the 44th minute and a few open chances they just couldn’t capitalise and USA put the match beyond Ireland’s reach in the 58th minute when Katie O’Donnell struck home after a penalty corner.

Ireland had a great chance in the 58th minute to pull one back with a great drive from Nikki Evans down the baseline just popping the ball back to the diving Emma Smyth, who just couldn’t get the vital touch.

Ireland fought to the end but despite their best efforts the USA closed the match out with a 3-1 win.

Ireland: Emma Gray; Cliodhna Sargent; Emma Smyth; Nikki Evans; Shirley McCay; Megan Frazer Capt; Audrey O’Flynn; Chloe Watkins; Nicci Daly; Katie Mullan; Anna O’Flanagan

Reserves: Michelle Harvey; Naomi Carroll; Ayeisha McFerran; Gillian Pinder; Kate Dillon; Ali Meeke; Emily Beatty.

Ireland’s men lost 4-2 to hosts Malaysia in the bronze medal match in Champions Challenge I tournament in Kuantan today.

Ireland conceded a penalty stroke in the seventh minute to give Malaysia the first score of the match thanks to Ahmad Nasrudden but Ireland immediately went goal hunting but to no avail.

Malaysia doubled their lead in 11th minute on the counter with Muhammad Baharom getting on the scoresheet.

Ireland pressed hard securing the first penalty corner of the match in the 13th minute but Stephen Dowd's drag flick was well saved.

Six minutes later Malaysia lined up for their first penalty corner but with goalkeeper of the tournament David Harte on form, he kept the chance out. Ireland pulled one back in the 22nd minute when Paul Gleghorne deflected in from open play to make it 2-1.

Ireland pushed hard to equalise before half time but despite strong attacking play Malaysia held the narrow lead into half-time.

Ireland’s good play finally paid dividends in the 43rd minute, Chris Cargo netting for his side to make it 2-2.

The game ensued end to end but it was the home side that scored a further two goals in the dying minutes of the game to secure a 4-2 victory and third place in the tournament.

Ireland: David Harte; John Jackson Capt; Johnny Bell; Chris Cargo; Maurice Elliott; Alan Sothern; Eugene Magee; Bruce McCandless; Philip Brown; Paul Gleghorne; Peter Brown

Reserves: Stephen Dowds; Kirk Shimmins; Matthew Bell; Drew Carlisle; Michael Robson; Richard Shaw; David Fitzgerald