Club Hurling: Midleton claim first Cork title since 1991, Leinster semi-final line-up takes shape

Updated: Monday, 04 Nov 2013 10:40 | Comments

Sarsfields' Eanna Martin and Padraig O'Shea of Midleton
Sarsfields' Eanna Martin and Padraig O'Shea of Midleton


Midleton won their first Cork hurling title in 22 years with a 2-15 to 2-13 victory over Sarsfields this afternoon. 

The win for Midleton was due in no small part to Conor Lehane who scored 2-10 (2-07 from play). 

Sarsfields, who were in search of a fourth Cork title in six years, were given a boost when James Nagle was sent off for Midleton in the second half. 

However, they were unable to overcome Midleton, who now go on to face the winners of the Clare final - Sixmilebridge and Newmarket-on-Fergus - in the Munster semi-final.

In the Leinster championship, Carlow's Mt Leinster Rangers beat Castletown Geoghegan by 1-15 to 1-13 

A poor first half for Mt Leinster saw them trail by 1-07 to 0-05 at half-time in Mullingar. However, a goal for Eddie Byrne kick started the fight back and the Carlow club had two points to spare by the final whistle.

Lucan Sarsfields and Ballyboden St Enda's will face off next Sunday in the Dublin final - the winner will take on Mt Leinster on 17 November.

On the other side of the draw, reigning Leinster champions Kilcormac-Killoughey had a 1-18 to 1-10 win over Camross.

Kilcormac were slow to get going but found their stride towards the end of the first half, taking a 0-10 to 0-06 lead into the interval.

A goal for James Gorman in the second half put the Offaly champions well on the way to victory and they were comfortable winners in the end, despite a late consolation coal for Camross.

Nowlan Park was the venue for today's other quarter-final, which saw Oulart the Ballagh overcome Clara on a 0-20 to 2-11 scoreline.

In a high-quality game, there was little between the teams going into the final moments, with Clara holding a 2-11 to 0-16 lead with five minutes to go. But even a disallowed goal for Oulart could not derail the Wexford side, who scored a flurry of late points to take the lead with only a minute of normal time remaining.

Oulart the Ballagh will now face Kilcormac Killoughey in the second semi-final on 17 November in Tullamore.

St Gabriel's were comfortable winners of the London SHC, beating Brothers Pearse 3-16 to 2-05 in Ruislip. 


Cork SHC final
Midleton 2-15 Sarsfields 2-13

London SHC final
St Gabriel's 3-16 Brothers Pearse 2-05

Leinster SHC quarter-finals
Mt Leinster Rangers 1-15 to 1-13 Castletown Geoghegan
Kicormac Killoughey 1-18 to 1-10 Camross
Oulart the Ballagh 0-20 to 2-11 Clara

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use