Galway 0-23 Limerick 0-20 (Aet)

Updated: Wednesday, 04 Sep 2013 17:09 | Comments

Limerick's Pat Ryan is chased down by Madhc O'Conghaile of Galway
Limerick's Pat Ryan is chased down by Madhc O'Conghaile of Galway

Galway’s bid for a third All-Ireland Minor Hurling Championship in the last five years remains on course after the Tribesmen overcame Limerick on a 0-23 to 0-20 scoreline after extra-time in their semi-final encounter at Croke Park.

Controversy reigned at HQ after Hawk-Eye showed an early Barry Nash effort had gone over the crossbar for Limerick, but the graphic indicated that it was a miss.

Referee Fergal Horgan didn't allow the score, with the GAA confirming later that the system would be stood down for the remainder of the afternoon.

On the pitch, a cracking encounter developed, with the sides tied at 0-08 apiece at half-time.

Nash and Glaway’s Brian Molloy contributed three points each.

The sides were tied at 0-15 apiece with a minute of normal time remaining, but Galway looked to have claimed victory with a late point, however, Ronan Lynch's second point of the day forced extra-time.

Galway were strongest in extra-time and led by 0-19 to 0-18 at the halfway point. They kicked on after the restart, with scores from Conor Whelan, Ronan O'Meara and Eanna Burke ensuring victory.

Limerick manager Brian Ryan had made the tough decision to drop two of his players from the starting 15 from the Munster Final replay win, but it mattered little early on as this game began at a frantic pace.

Nash fired an early effort after 18 seconds, but his effort was ruled out thanks to a Hawk-Eye technicality and Limerick once again had to start afresh.

This they did with scores from Cian Lynch and Dean Coleman to ensure a 0-02 to 0-00 lead after just two minutes.

Galway settled thanks to a Conor Shaughnessy point almost two minutes later, with Limerick looking most impressive in the opening minutes.

Limerick moved 0-03 to 0-01 ahead after four and a half minutes thanks to a second Lynch point.

Galway responded well, and began to exert dominance at midfield, quickly feeding their attack as they raced 0-05 to 0-03 ahead after 12 minutes.

Brian Burke, Brian Molloy and Adrian Morrissey were on target to help Mattie Murphy's side take a two-point advantage.

Darragh Kennedy bagged Limerick's first score in nine and a half minutes, with a well struck effort from over 65 metres out to cut the gap to the minimum.

The Shannonsiders rued some goal misses at this stage, including a Dean Coleman effort, but the Doon clubman won a free, as he was fouled by Galway defender Maidhc Ó Conghaile, with Nash slotting over the resulting placed-ball effort.

This put Limerick 0-07 to 0-06 ahead after 21 minutes, but Galway quickly equalised thanks to Conor Whelan's first score of the afternoon.

Nash put Limerick back in front, but a 65 metre free from Barry Molloy tied the game at 0-08 apiece, with as many minutes to go before the break.

Limerick had a chance to take the lead at the break, but Ronan Lynch sent an effort wide of the posts, as the sides entered the dressing rooms tied at 0-08 apiece at the interval.

Again, little separated the sides in the second half, with Molloy and David Dempsey swapping points inside four minutes of the restart.

Molloy pushed Galway ahead again, but once more Limerick drew level thanks to a 42nd minute pointed free from Nash.

Indeed, Limerick could have been further ahead at this stage, with Hawk-Eye ruling a Nash shot wide, after it had been initially flagged as a point.

The sides were tied on three further occasions, including at 0-13 apiece with five minutes left on the clock.

Darragh O'Donovan edged Limerick ahead, but Shaughnessy levelled matters for Galway entering the final three minutes.

O'Donovan delivered yet again for the Shannonsiders with a superb score close to the sideline, but Molloy again tied matters late on.

It looked like Galway would take victory with a point at the death, but Ronan Lynch was composed as the teenager stood over a free to tie the match at 0-16 apiece at the end of full-time.

Limerick edged ahead on the resumption thanks to a Dempsey score, but Galway were far more impressive in extra-time and weren't long in arrears.

Whelan drew level with his second point, with scores from Brian Molloy and substitute Eamonn Brannigan pushing Galway 0-19 to 0-17 ahead in the 66th minute.

Limerick edged back thanks to a Ronan Lynch score, but Galway led by 0-19 to 0-18 at the break.

Dempsey levelled matters once again inside 80 seconds of the restart, but Galway stormed to a lead they wouldn't relinquish thanks to superb scores from Conor Whelan, Ronan O'Meara and Eanna Burke to finish with three points to spare.

Galway now face Waterford in the All-Ireland final, with the Munster outfit appearing in their first All-Ireland final since 1992.

Galway: C Tuohy; M Ó Conghaile, D O'Donoghue, M Conneely; S Linnane, S Cooney, R Doyle; E Burke (0-01), D Dolan (0-01); C Whelan (0-04), R O'Meara, A Morrissey (0-03); B Molloy (0-09, 4f, 2 65'), B Burke (0-02), C Shaughnessy (0-01).

Subs: J Hastings for R O'Meara (37), V Doyle for R Doyle (52), E Brannigan (0-01) for D Dolan (56), R O'Meara (0-01) for B Burke (70), R Bellew for M Conneely (72), D Dolan for A Morrissey (78).

Limerick: C Ryan; S Finn, R English, M Casey; A La Touche Cosgrave, R Lynch (0-03, 2f, 1 '65), S Flanagan; D O'Donovan (0-03), D Kennedy (0-01); C Lynch (0-02), B Nash (0-06, 5f), D Dempsey (0-03); D Coleman (0-01), T Morrissey, P Ryan.

Subs: S Flanagan for T Morrissey (HT), J Porter for M Casey (46), E Doyle for D Kennedy (53), T Morrissey for P Ryan (56), J Butler for T Morrissey (68), E Doyle (0-01) for D Coleman (70), S Ryan for A La Touche Cosgrave (81).

Referee: Fergal Horgan

Highlights and analysis of all the weekend’s action on The Sunday Game from 21:30 on Sunday 18 August on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie (Ireland only). Expert and fan reaction on Take Your Point from 18:00 on RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ.ie (Worldwide).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use