UCC 2-17 Mary Immaculate 2-12

Updated: Saturday, 02 Mar 2013 18:39 | Comments

UCC are the Fitzgibbon Cup champions UCC led 0-09 to 0-07 at the break UCC ran out five-point winners
UCC are the Fitzgibbon Cup champions UCC led 0-09 to 0-07 at the break UCC ran out five-point winners

UCC regained their Fitzgibbon Cup title when they held off the challenge of a Mary I side appearing in their first ever final.

In the process UCC secured their 41st Fitzgibbon title, building on an interval lead of 0-9 to 0-7 to claim the crown.

Cork senior Conor Lehane led the way with a haul of 1-9 as they put titles back to back for the first time since 1998.

Mary I, appearing in their first final, received a huge boost beforehand when Limerick star Declan Hannon was cleared to play after he was successful in an appeal to being sent off the previous day in the semi-final.

But the exertions of their semi-final win over Waterford IT seemed to take a lot out of the Limerick college and they never managed to get the tempo of their play up to the level that they have shown all season.

The accuracy of Lehane has been vital to UCC all season and he was again in top form at Pearse Stadium, hitting 0-6 in the opening half when they built up a 0-9 to 0-7 interval lead.

Conor Cooney scored three points for Mary I in the opening half but they suffered a big blow after 40 minutes when Lehane scored the opening goal after a good run by Brian Harnett.

That helped the champions open up a six-points lead but Mary I battled back and John Conlon gave them hope when the skipper sent a 20-metre free to the net.

Mary I managed to get the margin down to a point but UCC pulled away again and they sealed their 41st success when Seamus Harnedy got their second goal seven minutes from time from a tight angle.

Eamon Cregan’s men did not give up and Cooney got their second goal in the dying moments when he, too, sent a 20 metre free to the net.

But it was never going to be enough to deny the most prolific winners of the competition, who ran out deserving winners.

UCC: D McCarthy; S Maher, D Glynn, K Murphy; J Barry, D Fives, W Egan (0-2); P Haughney (0-1), B Murray; S Harnedy (1-1), D McCormack (0-1), Brian Lawton; B O’Sullivan (0-2), C Lehane (1-9, 0-7fs), B Harnett.

Subs: Barry Lawton for Murray 46, A Breen (0-1) for McCormack 51, D Kearns for O’Halloran, 58.

Mary Immaculate College: S Nolan; C Fennessy, R O’Donnell, A Ryan; J Wall, D Hannon, Eanna Hogan; C Galvin, N O’Meara; B O’Halloran, W Hickey, C Cooney (1-3, 1-0f); S Curran (0-3), J Conlon (1-4, 1-3fs), L O’Farrell (0-2).

Subs: Eoin Hogan for Hickey 51, L Considine for Eanna Hogan 55.

Referee: B Kelly (Westmeath).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use