Derry 2-14 Longford 2-16

Updated: Monday, 23 Jun 2014 17:42 | Comments

Derry's Sean Leo McGoldrick in action against Longford's Michael Quinn and Aidan Rown
Derry's Sean Leo McGoldrick in action against Longford's Michael Quinn and Aidan Rown


Longford secured an outstanding 2-16 to 2-14 giant-killing victory over Derry in their All-Ireland SFC qualifier clash at Celtic Park this evening.

Derry looked good early on and led 0-07 to 0-03 after 25 minutes but Paul Barden's goal on 30 minutes helped Longford lead by 1-06 to 0-07 at half-time.

The visitors were the better team in the second half and led by five points, but all the drama came in the last ten minutes with two Derry goals from Benny Heron and Mark Lynch.

Longford sub Mark Hughes hit the winning goal on 64 minutes in an entertaining game. 

Jack Sheedy's side were relegated to Division 4 this spring, but they were comfortable against a Derry side who contested the division one final just two months ago.

Nine different Longford players scored from play and the long-range shooting of man of the match Paul Barden, Francis McGee, Michael Quinn, Brian Kavanagh and Sean McCormack was the telling factor as Longford added to their back-door wins over Derry in 2006 and 2012.

Derry scored the opening three points of the game inside seven minutes, teenage rookie Terence O'Brien among the scorers, and also led 0-07 to 0-03 after 25 minutes.

But Paul Barden's goal before half-time got Longford's noses in front and they led by 1-06 to 0-07 at the break.

Barden had been denied twice by Derry goalkeeper Thomas Mallon who pulled off fine saves in the first half, but he made it third time lucky with a great finish from Brian Kavanagh's assist on 30 minutes.

A depleted Derry, without six of the starters who lost to Donegal in the Ulster championship, crumbled spectacularly in the second half.

Even when the brilliant Lynch and James Kielt got scores on the board, they were undone by a porous defence and shaky midfield.

Derry tried four different markers on the brilliant Barden, who scored 1-02 from play, while Francis McGee had a hand in most of their attacks.

After the interval, Longford picked up where they had left off.

Former AFL star Michael Quinn made up for a quiet first half with two points from play, one off either foot, while defenders Shane Mulligan and Barry Gilleran bombed forward to stretch their lead to four points. 

Benny Heron's '45' ended a 15-minute scoring drought for Derry.

Longford's ability to kick long-range scores, with McGee becoming their seventh player to score from play, maintained their comfortable lead.

Derry started pushing for a goal – and ended up getting two in two minutes from Benny Heron and a screamer from skipper Lynch. Heron toe-poked his shot through a sea of bodies to ignite the fightback.

Lynch's strike from 20m with seven minutes to go somehow brought Derry level at 2-11 to 1-14 but Hughes' dummy and finish was the decisive score.

Scorers for Derry – M Lynch 1-04 (2f), J Kielt 0-04 (1f), E Lynn 0-02, T O'Brien 0-02, B Heron 1-01 (a '45'), SL McGoldrick 0-01

Scorers for Longford – S McCormack 0-04 (2f), P Barden 1-02, M Hughes 1-0, B Kavanagh 0-03 (1f), C Smyth 0-01, S Mulligan 0-01, M Quinn 0-02, B Gilleran 0-01, F McGee 0-02

DERRY: T Mallon; O Duffy, C McKaigue, A McAlynn; G McKinless, M Craig, SL McGoldrick; M Lynch, K Johnston; A Devlin, E Bradley, E Lynn; J Kielt, T O'Brien, C McFaul

Subs: G O'Kane for McAlynn (BC, 14), B Heron for Duffy (24), N Holly for E Bradley (HT), D McKinless for Devlin (41)

LONGFORD: D Sheridan; D Brady, B Gilleran, F Battrim; C Smyth, E Williams, S Mulligan; B O'Farrell, K Diffley; M Quinn, F McGee, P Barden; A Rowan, B Kavanagh, S McCormack

Subs: M Hughes for Rowan (61), N Mulligan for Diffley (64)

REFEREE: Martin Higgins (Fermanagh)

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use