Clare 2-08 Waterford 2-08

Updated: Saturday, 07 Jun 2014 22:05 | Comments

Tommy Prendergast of Waterford with Gary Brennan of Clare (R)
Tommy Prendergast of Waterford with Gary Brennan of Clare (R)

Munster rivals Clare and Waterford must meet again as Paul Whyte's last-gasp point earned the Deise a replay at Cusack Park.

An early Clare goal from Enda Coughlan was cancelled out by a Whyte major late in the first half and Clare went in 1-05 to 1-02 in front at half-time.

After the restart Liam Ó Lionain netted for Waterford before David Tubridy hit back for the Banner. However, Whyte's score at the death set up a replay in Dungarvan.

In the opening half of this provincial quarter-final, Clare had the ball in the net early on when Shane McGrath and Jamie Malone linked up well before McGrath's shot was saved by Stephen Enright and Coughlan tapped in the rebound.  

JJ Hutchinson's double got the Deise off the mark before McGrath repeated the feat at the other end as Clare led 1-04 to 0-02 with the opening half drawing to a close. Clare's Gordon Kelly was the first player to be shown a black card for a foul on Ó Lionain.

But Waterford kept in touch and fought for every ball, exemplified by their goal late in the half when Dean Crowley set up Whyte and he made no mistake to fire past Joe Hayes as Clare went in three points to the good at the interval. 

After the restart scores were few and far between as Jamie Malone and Gary Brennan stretched Clare's lead with Whyte and substitute Michael Curry keeping the visitors in touch. 

On the hour mark Clare were made pay for not doing enough with the ball when Waterford drew level as Shane Aherne squared to Ó Lionain and the An Rinn clubman's palmed effort crossed the line via the crossbar. 

Tadhg Ó hUallachain then gave Waterford the lead for the first time in the match but the Banner men hit back with their second goal almost immediately when McGrath and Sean Collins launched an attack which ended in Tubridy firing to the net.

Gary Brennan then edged Clare a goal clear at 2-08 to 2-05 and it looked like they would hold out with three minutes on the clock – but Waterford were not finished and were determined to get something out of the game.

Aherne pointed before Padraic Collins walked for a black card challenge on Whyte, with Collins unavailable for the replay due to the Clare hurlers opening their defence of the Liam MacCarthy Cup next weekend.

Aherne's free squared the game as stoppage time approached, and Clare's myriad of second half mistakes and tally of 11 wides were punished by Niall Carew's underdogs. 

A final Deise break culminated in Whyte showing the composure to split the posts in the final seconds to force a replay which was no more than his side deserved.

Clare: J Casey; D Ryan, K Hartnett, M McMahon; S Hickey, G Kelly, C Russell; G Brennan (0-02), J Malone (0-01); S McGrath (0-02), E Coughlan (1-0), S Collins; M O'Leary (0-01, 0-0f), D Tubridy (1-02, 0-01f), P Collins.

Subs: S Brennan for Kelly (black card), R Donnelly for O'Leary, E Cleary for Malone. 

Waterford: S Enright; D Crowley, T O'Gorman, M O'Gorman; C Phelan, S Briggs, O Keevers; S Aherne (0-02, 0-01f), T Prendergast; M O'Gorman, L O Lionain (1-00), T O hUallachain (0-01); B Wall, P Whyte (1-02), JJ Hutchinson (0-02).

Subs: M Curry (0-01) for Hutchinson, D Allen for Wall, W Hutchinson for Briggs (black card), D Grey for O'Gorman, D Hallahan for Keevers, L O Corraoin for Phelan. 

Referee: Conor Lane (Cork).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use