Galway ended their run of three defeats in the Allianz League Division 2, beating Down 1-12 to 0-08 in Tuam Stadium.

Galway led 0-06 to 0-05 at half-time with Eddie Hoare and James Kavanagh impressing for Galway while Donal O'Hare scored all of Down's points.

The teams were level six times during the game but Galway pulled away towards the end with substitute Danny Cummins grabbing the crucial goal with three minutes remaining. Galway held on to win by seven points.

The hosts started well with Michael Martin (free) and Gary Sice notching early scores. Down then took control with two O'Hare frees bringing them level.

Down missed a great chance in the ninth minute with Galway goalkeeper Thomas Healy saving brilliantly from Down's Jerome Johnston.

Two more O'Hare points either side of a Paul Varley point for Galway left the scores 0-03 to 0-04 after 20 minutes.

Eddie Hoare scored two excellent points to put Galway ahead with five minutes to go before half time. O'Hare brought the teams level once again before James Kavanagh grabbed Galway's sixth point to put Galway in the lead at half time.

Straight from the throw-in, Eddie Hoare kicked his third point of the game before Down got two of their own to make it seven apiece. These came from the excellent O'Hare and Kevin McKernan who was Down's main driving force in the second half after moving to midfield.

Michael Martin exchanged points with McKernan before Martin grabbed his third from a free. Kavanagh gave Galway some breathing space with a well-taken score.

The former Kildare star looked at home in the Galway team and his class was evident throughout the game.

Ryan Johnston missed a glorious chance for Down with the score 0-10 to 0-08 in Galway's favour. The substitute raced through the defence only to skew the ball wide of the onrushing Healy's goal.

Having weathered that scare, Galway took control. Danny Cummins was introduced with eight minutes remaining and the Claregalway clubman laid on a point for midfielder Thomas Flynn to give Galway a three-point advantage with five minutes remaining.

Then came the game's crucial score. Sice drove forward for Galway and the Corofin man drew the cover before popping the ball to Cummins who lashed the ball high into the net past Brendan McVeigh.

Galway finished strongly to secure a well-deserved victory in what was an entertaining contest.

Galway: T Healy; D O'Neill, F Hanley, J Moore; G Bradshaw, G O'Donnell, P Varley (0-01); F O'Curraoin, T Flynn (0-01); G Sice (0-01), E Hoare (0-03), S Armstrong (0-01f); M Martin (0-03,0-02f), P Conroy, J Kavanagh (0-02).

Subs: A Tierney for Hanley (46), K Kelly for D O’Neill (62), D Cummins (1-0) for M Martin (62), G Higgins for E Hoare (69), D O’Connell for G Sice (69).

Down: B McVeigh; D McCartan, B McArdle, O Costello; R Boyle, A Carr, C Garvey; P Turley, P Fitzpatrick; K McKernan (0-02), M Poland, C Maginn; D O'Hare (0-06, 0-04f), N Madine, J Johnston.

Subs: C Laverty for Fitzpatrick (half time), D Rooney for Turley (54), B Coulter for Madine (56), R Johnston for Johnston (56), D O’Hanlon for Garvey (62), C O’Hare for K McKernan (66).

Referee: Derek O’Mahony (Tipp)