Kerry 3-15 Tyrone 0-09

Updated: Monday, 10 Mar 2014 12:02 | Comments

James O'Donoghue was the star man as Kerry get their first points in this season's top flight
James O'Donoghue was the star man as Kerry get their first points in this season's top flight


Kerry secured their first win of the season courtesty of a James O’Donoghue hat-trick and eight points from Bryan Sheehan in a 3-15 to 0-09 rout of Tyrone in Killarney

Sheehan hit seven frees, while Tyrone had two points each from Ronan O’Neill, Peter Harte, Darren McCurry and goalkeeper Niall Morgan - who also made two superb saves.

The sides were level at 0-08 each at the break, but James O’Donoghue scored a 38th-minute goal, and sealed the win with two superb strikes in the final ten minutes.

Goalkeeper Niall Morgan came to Tyrone’s rescue twice in the opening five minutes with excellent saves.

First he denied Peter Crowley after he had been sent clear by O’Donoghue’s quickly-taken free kick.

And when O’Donoghue used his pace to cut in from the left and get his shot away, Morgan again spread himself to keep his line intact.

The Kingdom eased ahead with points from Barry John Keane and Sheehan, but Morgan continued to take centre stage, floating over a 45 metre free to open his side’s account in the ninth minute.

Sheehan cancelled that out with a similar score at the other end, but the Red Hands stayed in touch with a superb Peter Harte point and a couple of Ronan O’Neill frees

Harte brought the Ulster men level with his second score in the 23rd minute, and they were denied a goal when Paddy McNeice seized upon the rebound after O’Neill’s shot came back off a post, but ‘keeper Brian Kelly was quickly off his line to smother the shot.

Tyrone continued to press, and went in front for the first time in the 25th minute through McCurry

Sheehan kept the home side in front with his pinpoint accuracy from long-range frees, and late in the half, McCurry and O’Donoghue swapped points, the sides level for the fourth time and deadlocked at 0-08 each at the break

Substitute Ciaran McGinley regained the lead for Tyrone with his first touch, but again, Sheehan was the man with the scoring touch, bring Kerry level, before midfielder Anthony Maher galloped through to punch over the lead point.

And they struck for a goal in the 38th minute. Substitute Kieran O’Leary thumped in the long ball, which was broken by Paul Geaney into the path of O’Donoghue, and he showed a clean pair of heels to Barry Tierney before smashing a bullet past Morgan.

Geaney and Sheehan tagged on points, and Kerry were suddenly in the comfort zone, six points clear going into the final quarter.

And they wrapped up a comprehensive win with O’Donoghue's second goal nine minutes from the end, picking his spot in the bottom corner after substitute Darran O’Sullivan had carved the opening.

Kerry: B Kelly, P Murphy, M Griffin, S Enright, P Crowley, F Ftizgerald, M O Se, A Maher (0-01), D Moran, D Casey, B Sheehan (0-08, 7f), D Walsh, BJ Keane (0-01), S O’Brien, J O’Donoghue (3-03, 0-2f).

Subs: P Kilkenny for Enright K O’Leary (0-01) for Walsh, P Geaney (0-01) for Keane, D O’Sullivan for Casey, A O’Mahony for Crowley, J Buckley for Sheehan

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-02, 2f), PJ Quinn, C Clarke, B Tierney, R McNamee, P Harte (0-02), R McNabb, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh, E McKenna, R O’Neill (0-02, 2f), S McGuigan, D McCurry (0-02), Mattie Donnelly, P McNeice.

Subs: C McGinley (0-01) for McNabb, Mark Donnelly for McNeice, N McKenna for McGuigan, C Grugan for E McKenna, A McCrory for Quinn

Referee: R Hickey (Clare).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use