Kildare and Meath to contest O'Byrne Cup final

Updated: Sunday, 19 Jan 2014 20:23 | Comments

Kildare's Mick O'Grady (l) tackles Paul Mannion of UCD
Kildare's Mick O'Grady (l) tackles Paul Mannion of UCD

Kildare and Meath will meet in this year’s Bord na Móna O'Byrne Cup final next Sunday, after semi-final wins over UCD and DCU respectively.

Padraig Fogarty netted four of Kildare's five goals, in the Lillywhites 5-17 to 2-11 win over UCD in Newbridge and the St Laurence’s man finished with 4-03, with two goals in either half.

The hosts led by 3-08 to 2-07 at half-time with Fogarty and Cathal McNally on target for the Lilywhites goals.

McNally punched Kildare's opening goal after 15 minutes, with Paddy Brophy involved in the build-up. And Darroch Mulhall, Sean Hurley and Fogarty were also on target with points during the opening quarter, with UCD captain John Heslin netting the students’ early goal.

The Belfield outfit cut the gap to a point on a 1-08 to 2-04 scoreline after 24 minutes, thanks to a Ryan Basquel goal, but the two Fogarty goals in a six-minute spell before the break handed Kildare a four-point interval lead.

Kildare held UCD to just a point inside the 10-minute spell after the restart, as they moved 3-12 to 2-08 in front.

The hosts finished strongly with Fogarty completing his hat-trick in the 57th minute and adding his fourth goal in injury-time, to seal a 15-point win.

Nine players were on target for Meath, as they booked a place in the final for the first time since 2006, following a 4-18 to 3-06 win over DCU at Páirc Tailteann.

Cillian O'Sullivan was impressive for the hosts, top-scoring with 2-02, with both of his goals coming in the opening half.

Meath started strongly with goals from O'Sullivan and an Andrew Tormey penalty helping them to a 2-01 to 0-01 lead after 14 minutes.

DCU bounced back with Conor McGraynor registering his fourth goal in as many games, to cut the deficit to three points.

However, O'Sullivan claimed his second goal to ensure a 3-08 to 1-03 lead at the break.

Meath moved 3-11 to 1-05 ahead by the 48th minute, but a goal from David Bray saw the Royals lead by 4-15 to 2-06 with 15 minutes remaining, with Jack Brady netting DCU's goal.

DCU worked hard with Conor McHugh netting a late goal, but Meath held out for a 15-point win.

Next Sunday’s final will take place at St Conleth’s Park in Newbridge, throw-in at 2pm.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use