McGrath Cup round-up: Kerry and Cork into semis

Updated: Sunday, 05 Jan 2014 22:56 | Comments

Andrew O'Sullivan of Cork celebrates scoring his side's first goal against IT Tralee
Andrew O'Sullivan of Cork celebrates scoring his side's first goal against IT Tralee


Kerry and Cork claimed quarter-final wins in the McGrath Cup today, as did Cork IT and UL.

Kerry were never troubled as they got their McGrath Cup campaign off to a positive start, with a 0-17 to 0-08 win over IT Tralee at the John Mitchels GAA Club in Tralee.

Eamon Fitzmaurice's charges led by 0-09 to 0-02 at half-time,and outscored their opponents by eight points to six on the restart.

Brian Cuthbert got off to a great start as Cork manager, as his Cork charges claimed a 3-22 to 0-07 win over Limerick IT.

Cork led by 1-15 to 0-00 at half-time with Andrew O'Sullivan netting the Rebels goal.

The students fought back with four unanswered points on the restart, but Cork finished strongly.

Substitute Kevin Crowley netted his sides second goal, with John Hayes (1-04) converting a late penalty to ensure a 24-point win.

CIT were goal hungry in their 5-17 to 2-06 win over Mary Immaculate College on home soil.

CIT led by 3-08 to 1-03 at half-time, with Donal Óg Hodnett, Shane McCarthy, Daniel Daly, Darragh Treacy and Cathal Vaughan all finding the net over the 70 minutes for the winners.

UL will meet Cork in the semi-finals next weekend, after the Limerick University side overcame UCC by five-points in a high-scoring encounter on a 5-18 to 4-16 scoreline at the Gaelic Grounds.

Both defences were under huge pressure in the opening half, with five goals registered in the opening 35 minutes, as UL led by 3-07 to 2-09 at the interval.

Michael Quinlivan and Conor Cox netted for UCC inside the opening 11 minutes to take an early 2-03 to 0-03 lead, but UL responded with three-pointers from Brian O'Shea, James O'Donoghue and Paul Whyte to take a one-point interval lead.

UCC moved ahead on the restart, with Cox and Quinlivan both scoring their second goals, to take a 4-12 to 3-9 lead.

But UL worked their way back into contention at the start of the final quarter with two quick goals paving the way for victory.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use