St Vincent's are Leinster Senior Club Football Championship title holders after winning a six-goal 3-12 to 3-09 thriller against Portlaoise in Tullamore today.

Four unanswered points in the closing nine minutes earned the Dublin side their fifth provincial title at O'Connor Park.

In one of the most entertaining finals of recent years, the sides were level on seven occasions, but the Marino men dug keep with Tomás Quinn leading the charge with three of the final four scores.

The sides were tied at 2-05 apiece at half-time, with goals from Ciarán Dorney and Ruairí Trainor handing Vincent's a 2-03 to 0-04 lead, before Craig Rogers responded with two Portlaoise goals, including a 28th minute penalty.

After the break, Brian Glynn and Shane Carthy traded goals inside a two and a half minute spell, and although Portlaoise took the lead thanks to a 48th minute point, they failed to score again in this contest.

The sides’ last meeting in this competition came on the way to Vincent's last provincial and All-Ireland success, with Vincent's storming to an 11-point win.

This afternoon's encounter was a much tighter contest, with no more than five points separating the teams over the 60 minutes.

32-year old Quinn, as on countless occasions for Vincent's during their 2013 campaign, once again led by example with the corner-forward once again finishing as top-scorer.

Quinn opened the Marino outfit's account inside the opening 90 seconds with the first of his eight points, but this was quickly cancelled out by a Craig Rogers effort.

Portlaoise were dominant at midfield at this stage, and powered to a 0-03 to 0-01 lead after Paul Cahillane and Brian Glynn added points.

Vincent's worked hard for scores, but Portlaoise were resolute in defence with their keeper Michael Nolan denying Eamon Fennell of a goal chance in the 13th minute.

Quinn broke Vincent's 14-minute scoring deadlock with a point as the game entered the second quarter, but his effort was quickly cancelled out by a Cahillane score.

Gradually Vincent's began to come to grips with this game, and fired 2-02 unanswered in a five-minute spell to move 2-04 to 0-04 in front.

A well worked move involving Brendan Egan, Trainor, Connolly and Shane Carthy was the catalyst for Vincent's opening goal.

Carthy laying off the final pass to Ciarán Dorney who shook off David Seale, before slotting the ball past Nolan in the 19th minute.

Quinn added third point, before Vincent's second goal, as Trainor avoided the challenge from Conor Boyle to push Vincent's 2-03 to 0-04 in front.

Gavin Burke extended Vincent's lead to six points, before Portlaoise made an explosive comeback.

A high ball in from Portlaoise captain Brian McCormack was safely gathered by Rogers who turned inside to cut the gap to three points, with a well struck goal.

McCormack and Rogers continued to cause damage, with Rogers pulled down by Jarlath Curley for a 28th minute penalty which he had no hesitation in converting.

A Trainor point saw Vincent's regain the lead, but a Paul Cahillane score tied the game at 2-05 apiece at the break.

A Brian Smith score gave Portlaoise the lead inside 20 seconds of the restart, but Vincent's were never far behind, with Quinn slotting over an equaliser.

Portlaoise continued to work hard and were rewarded for their efforts with a 36th minute Brian Glynn goal, and when Rogers extended their lead to four points it seemed it might be enough to keep them in front.

But Vincent's showed a never say die effort throughout this campaign, and once again that spirit was in evidence, with Carthy's 38th minute goal bringing them back to life.

The sides traded points on two occasions to ensure Portlaoise led 3-09 to 3-08 with 12 minutes left on the clock.

But amazingly Portlaoise failed to score for the remainder of the game, as Vincent's dug deep with four unanswered points, including three from Quinn to claim provincial silverware.

After the game St Vincent's captain Ger Brennan accepted the cup from Leinster GAA Chairman Martin Skelly.

St Vincents: M Savage; M Concarr, J Curley, H Gill; C Diamond, G Brennan, B Egan; E Fennell, D Murphy; G Burke (0-01), D Connolly (0-01), S Carthy (1-00); R Trainor (1-01), C Dorney (1-01), T Quinn (0-08, 4f). Subs: T Diamond for Trainor (41 mins); K Bonnie for C Diamond (45 mins); K Golden for Dorney (56 mins); N Mullins for Burke (59 mins).

Portlaoise: M Nolan; D Seale, C Healy, T Fitzgerald; K Lillis, P Cotter, B Mulligan; S Nerney, C Boyle; B Smith (0-01), P Cahillane (0-03, 1f), B Glynn (1-01); C Rogers (2-03, 1-00pen, 0-03f), B McCormack (0-01), B Fitzgerald. Subs: E Whelan for Mulligan (42 mins); A Kelly for Glynn (56 mins); K Fitzpatrick for Cahillane (59 mins)

Referee: Fergal Kelly (Longford)