Galway 1-11 Armagh 0-09

Updated: Saturday, 20 Jul 2013 19:44 | Comments

After a hammering by Mayo in the Connacht Championship, Galway are one game away from an All-Ireland quarter-final
After a hammering by Mayo in the Connacht Championship, Galway are one game away from an All-Ireland quarter-final


Galway caused an All-Ireland football qualifiers third round shock by beating Armagh 1-11 to 0-09 at Pearse Stadium.

Alan Mulholland's Tribesmen, lucky to survive tricky tests against Tipperary and Waterford, delivered a plucky and polished performance to stun the visitors.

A 24th minute Danny Cummins goal ensured Galway deservedly went in 1-06 to 0-05 ahead at the interval.

After the restart Armagh rallied with replacement Stefan Campbell enterprising, but Galway stayed calm as Michael Meehan's frees and Michael Martin did the damage up front.

Keen to utilise Johnnny Duane as a defensive sweeper Galway vexed the visitors for a spell during an interesting opening quarter.

Galway were working diligently throughout the park forcing Armagh to shoot under pressure and the visitors hit six first-half wides.

That was chiefly because Galway were primed for a battle and the way they were set up meant that they were able to break at speed.

And when they did, midfielders Tom Flynn and Paul Conroy were honest and effective as Armagh struggled to cope with the deep runners.

Johnny Duane fisted an early point and then Michael Meehan banged over two frees, one from an awkward angle as Galway led 0-03 to 0-00 after 10 minutes.

Armagh improved with a burst as a Tony Kernan free and a Caolan Rafferty point trimmed the deficit to the minimum.

But Galway ploughed on defiantly and were 0-04 to 0-03 ahead when Danny Cummins palmed an opportunistic 24th-minute goal.

A brace of Michael Martin points ensured Galway went in 1-06 to 0-05 ahead at the interval and the shock was most definitely on at that stage.

Armagh, though, were much improved after the restart with substitute Stefan Campbell a significant influence in the revival.

Campbell hit a sweet third-quarter effort as Armagh had the margin trimmed to 1-6 to 0-7 by the 44th minute.

Then Martin slung over a delightful score which gave Galway a dollop of confidence, but Armagh continued to probe with Campbell industrious.

But when Campbell had the gap down to two again Galway hit four in a row from Meehan (2), Conroy, and Gary Sice to seize control.

Armagh craved a goal in the dying minutes, but all they could muster was a Ciaran McKeever point and Galway, who held Jamie Clarke scoreless, eked out a satisfying success.

This victory sets up a fourth round Croke Park qualifier with beaten Munster finalists Cork next Saturday.

Galway: M Breathnach; D O'Neill, F Hanley, J Duane (0-01); C Doherty, G O'Donnell, G Sice (0-01); P Conroy (0-01), T Flynn; J O'Brien, S Armstrong (0-01, f), S Denvir; M Martin (0-03), M Meehan (0-04, 4fs), D Cummins (1-00). Subs: S Walsh for O'Brien (57 mins), F O'Curraoin for Armstrong (62 mins), A Varley for Meehan (66 mins), M Farragher for Martin (70 mins).

Armagh: P McEvoy; P McKeown, B Donaghy, J Morgan; A Kernan (0-01, f), C McKeever (0-02), M Shields; J Lavery, S Harold; C Rafferty (0-01), K Dyas, E Rafferty (0-01; J Clarke, T Kernan (0-01, f), E McVerry. Subs: S Campbell (0-03) for C Rafferty (28 mins), K Toner for Harold (32 mins), F Moriarty for McKeown (36 mins), A Forker for McVerry (55 mins), S Forker for E Rafferty (62 mins).

Referee: Rory Hickey (Clare).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use