Limerick 0-08 Cork 3-17

Updated: Saturday, 25 May 2013 21:24 | Comments

Limerick's John Galvin comes under intense pressure from the Cork duo of Alan O'Connor and James Loughrey
Limerick's John Galvin comes under intense pressure from the Cork duo of Alan O'Connor and James Loughrey

A ruthless Cork side cruised to a 3-17 to 0-08 victory against Limerick in the quarter-finals of the Munster SFC at the Gaelic Grounds.

Brian Hurley, John O'Rourke and Pearse O'Neill hit three first-half goals for Conor Counihan's side, who now go on to meet Clare in the last four.

Limerick never posed a potent threat at any stage and will need to up their level to make an impact in the qualifiers.

In the end, the 18-point winning margin was fully deserved as Cork set about destroying the belief that they struggle against Limerick in the provincial championship.

A tally of three points in the first half was a dismal return for Limerick, especially as it didn't get much better for them after the restart.

A solid showing from John Galvin was about the only positive that Maurice Horan could take from the game, as the loss of star attacker Ian Ryan proved too large an obstacle to clear for the home side.

By the time Hurley flicked Cork's first goal to the net in the 25th minute, Cork had already carved Limerick open on countless occasions with Daniel Goulding and Ciaran Sheehan both missing great goalscoring chances in the opening quarter.

Four minutes after Hurley scored, O'Rourke added another despite the best efforts of Mark O'Riordan to stop his well-struck low shot.

The killer blow arrived in the 32nd minute when O'Neill charged through the middle and buried a shot past the hapless Donal O'Sullivan.

Cork continued to turn the screw after the start of the second half as they kicked six of the next seven points, with Goulding helping himself to a hat-trick of fine scores in that time.

Counihan emptied his bench midway through the second period and both Fintan Goold and Mark Collins benefited after their introduction with some fine points from play.

Galvin fisted a point for Limerick after he was switched into the full-forward line, but it mattered little as Cork barely accelerated out of third gear to a facile victory.

Cork: K O'Halloran; P Kissane, M Shields, D Cahalane (0-02, 0-01f, 0-01'45); J Loughrey, G Canty, T Clancy; A O'Connor, P O'Neill (1-00); C Sheehan (0-01), P Kelly, J O'Rourke (1-01); D Goulding (0-05, 0-01f), B Hurley (1-01), P Kerrigan (0-02).

Subs: F Goold (0-02) for Kelly (50 mins), N O'Leary for Canty (50 mins), D O'Connor for Sheehan (50 mins), A O'Sullivan for O'Neill (56 mins), M Collins (0-03) for Kerrigan (58 mins).

Limerick: D O'Sullivan; A Lane, J McCarthy, M O'Riordan; S Lavin, P Ranahan, P Browne; B O'Brien, J Galvin (0-01); J Riordan, T Lee, S Buckley (0-01); G Collins (0-01), I Corbett, E O'Connor (0-03, 0-01f).

Subs: M Sheehan (0-01) for Corbett (h-t), D O'Connor for O'Brien (h-t), S O'Carroll for Corbett (h-t), S Lucey (0-01) for Buckley (51 mins), L O'Dwyer for O'Riordan (56 mins).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use