Galway 0-13 Westmeath 1-10

Updated: Sunday, 03 Mar 2013 19:29 | Comments

Galway goalkeeper John Egan evades Westmeath's Kieran Martin at Tuam Stadium
Galway goalkeeper John Egan evades Westmeath's Kieran Martin at Tuam Stadium


Westmeath fought back from a six-point half-time deficit to claim a 1-10 to 0-13 draw against Galway as they maintained their unbeaten start to the league.

Galway led by 0-08 to 0-02 at the interval, having played against the breeze, but Westmeath fought back after the restart.

A goal from Denis Cooroon after 54 minutes was the crucial score but neither side could find a winner in an exciting finish.

Midfielder John Heslin kept his nerve to land a late point from a free to preserve Westmeath’s unbeaten start to the league.

It was no more than Pat Flanagan’s men deserved after a good second-half recovery after they fell 0-08 to 0-02 behind despite playing with the wind in the opening half.

Paul Conroy tormented the visitors at Tuam Stadium, shooting three points from play in the opening half.

Michael Meehan recovered from three early wides to convert two frees.

Westmeath only managed points from Kieran Martin and Denis Glennon, despite having plenty of possession.

Galway goalkeeper John Egan produced good saves to deny Ger Egan and Callum McCormack, but Westmeath also wasted several good chances.

Kieran Martin led the Westmeath fightback after the restart as they shot four points in succession.

Conroy again steadied Galway with a point, before the crucial score of the game came when Ciaran Curley set up Cooroon for the only goal of the game which put Westmeath in front.

It was the first goal Galway conceded in this year’s league.

But Galway sub Michael Martin kicked three points from frees to edge them back in front.

Both sides missed good chances in an exciting finish with the game hanging in the balance.

A Gareth Bradshaw point looked like being the winner for Galway but Westmeath hit back and they were rewarded when Heslin secured a draw three minutes from the end of a good contest, with the draw keeping both sides still in a strong position to strive for promotion.

Galway: P Conroy 0-4; M Martin 0-3 (3fs); M Meehan 0-2 (2fs), G O’Donnell, M Boyle, E Concannon & G Bradshaw 0-1 each.

Westmeath: D Cooroon 1-0; K Martin 0-4 (2f), C McCormack, D Glennon & J Heslin 0-2 each.

Galway: J Egan; J Duane, F Hanley, J Moore (G Bradshaw 55); G O’Donnell, G Sice, G Sweeney; N Coleman, A Griffin (F O Curraoin 62); J O’Brien, P Conroy, M Boyle (C Doherty 55); E Concannon, M Meehan (S Armstrong 65), M Hehir (M Martin 49).

Westmeath: G Connaughton; M McCallon, K Gavin (Damien Dolan 68), K Maguire; M Curley, D Harte (J Gaffey 35), J Dolan; D Cooroon (P Bannon 67), J Heslin; G Egan, C McCormack, K Martin; R Foley (D Duffy 35), C Curley, D Glennon.

Referee: Marty Duffy (Sligo).

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use