Galway laid down a marker with their best performance of the All-Ireland senior camogie championship to date, scoring two goals in the opening two minutes setting them up for a 3-14 to 0-10 win over champions, Wexford.

That cemented the westerners’ place in the semi-finals, to be played on 18 August, while Wexford had already secured their place in the last four.

Brenda Hanney and Martina Conroy gave Galway that dream start and when player-of-the-match Conroy poached her second green flag after 20 minutes, that enabled Tony Ward’s side go in at the break leading 3-9 to 0-4.

Ursula Jacob was the sole attacking threat for a Wexford unit denied the considerable talents of Mary and Una Leacy, scoring three of those four points and finishing with seven. The game fizzled out in the second half and with little at stake, ended with an inevitable result.

It was another late, late show for Tipperary as they snatched victory in the dying moments for the second week in succession, overcoming Offaly 1-12 to 1-10 in Birr. It was a brilliant effort by the Blue and Golds, who were at a numerical disadvantage from the time Siobhán McGrath was sent off in the first half.

Underage star Caoimhe Maher was the heroine, pouncing for a goal to decide this titanic tussle. It wasn’t the end of the drama though as Offaly were awarded an injury-time penalty after Elaine Dermody was fouled.

Unfortunately for the Faithful girls, their sharpshooting full-forward was injured in the process and so Siobhán Flannery was entrusted with the duties.

Her shot was saved and Tipperary will now take part in a play-off with Cork next week to determine who goes straight into the quarter-finals, to be played on 4 August.

The Leesiders had a comfortable 2-15 to 1-7 win over Kilkenny in Ballincollig, courtesy of goals from Katie Buckley and Linda Dorgan.

It was still all to play for at half time, with just five between the sides, but with Katriona Mackey, Jennifer O’Leary and Anna Geary keeping the scoreboard ticking over it was an easy win. Miriam Walsh goaled for Kilkenny, and Michelle Quilty hit four points.

Kilkenny now have a play-off with Offaly to decide who will make the last eight, with the losers joining Dublin, Clare and either Cork or Tipperary in the quarter-final play-offs on 28 June.

Dublin and Clare drew a terrific game 1-9 to 0-12. An Aileen Murphy goal in the 42nd minute put Dublin three points clear, but a couple of scores from the excellent Claire McMahon and another from Susan Fahey brought the sides level for the seventh and final time.