Tipperary pulled away in the second-half to record their first win of this year’s Allianz League against a disappointing Waterford side at Semple Stadium.

Waterford only managed 1-1 in the second-half against the breeze on an evening when they shot 13 wides.

Tipperary also hit 13 wides but created far more in the second-half and bounced back from their opening round loss to Clare in style.

Their scorer-in-chief was Jason Forde who hit 1-9 as Tipperary got their campaign up and running.

Tipperary trailed by just a point at 0-10 to 0-9 at the break and then pulled away in the second-half.

It took a superb save from Waterford goalkeeper Stephen O’Keeffe to deny Paudie Feehan just 17 seconds after the restart but Forde tied the sides for the fourth time from the resultant 65.

Waterford hit back with a quality goal when a good passing movement was finished to the net from a tight angle by Mark O’Brien.

That tied the game at 0-13 to 1-10 but Tipperary, aided by a dubious lineball in midfield, were awarded a penalty when Breen was fouled by Ian Kenny.

Forde stepped forward to blast home the penalty and Waterford suffered another blow when Gleeson limped off.

Tipperary pushed on to lead by 1-16 to 1-10 going into the final quarter when Sean Curran, Brendan Maher and Ronan Maher delivered good points.

They would have been out of sight had goalkeeper O’Keeffe not produced a wonderful save to deny Forde.

But Waterford lacked penetration at the other end to eat into the lead and Tipperary pushed for home and their first win of the campaign.

Ronan Maher landed a superb lineball from the right and Forde tapped over another free as they pulled away for a deserved win.

Tipperary continued to turn the screw and Ronan Maher split the posts with another fine effort from out the field.

Jamie Barron got Waterford’s only point of the second-half in stoppage time at the death as they added five wides after the restart.

But they now face a difficult task to regroup after two opening round defeats when they take on Kilkenny in two weeks.

TIPPERARY: Paul Maher; Alan Flynn, Tomas Hamill, Sean O'Brien; Joe O'Dwyer, Padraic Maher, Ronan Maher(0-04, 0-01 lineball); Brendan Maher (0-01), Paudie Feehan; Dan McCormack, Noel McGrath (0-02, 0-01 lineball), Sean Curran (0-02); Michael Breen (0-01), Jason Forde (1-09,1-00 pen, 0-07f, 0-01 65), John McGrath (0-01).

Subs: Paul Shanahan for McCormack, James Barry for O’Dwyer, Patrick Maher for Shanahan, Cian Darcy for Curran.

WATERFORD: Stephen O'Keeffe; Shane Fives, Barry Coughlan, Ian Kenny; Mark O'Brien (1-00), Austin WGleeson (0-01), Kieran Bennett; Stephen Roche, Mikey Kearney (0-03); Kevin Moran, Colin Dunford, Brian O'Halloran (0-01); Stephen Bennett, DJ Foran (0-01), Patrick Curran (0-03, 0-03f).

Subs: Peter Hogan for Roche, Sean McNulty for Gleeson, Jamie Barron (0-1) for O’Brien, Pauric Mahony for Dunford , Michael Walsh for S Bennett.

Referee: Colm Lyons (Cork).