Donie Smith earned a Connacht final replay for Roscommon with a free in the third minute of added-time to peg back likely winners Galway to a 0-13 to 1-10 draw.

The Tribesmen led by two points as the finish-line approached, but Cathal Cregg and Smith found the scores to earn a second chance for both sides.

Roscommon fell away in the second-half after Enda Smith’s goal saw them lead 1-6 to 0-6 at the interval, as the Tribesmen, led by Danny Cummins and Damien Comer, fought back.

Conor Devaney got the ball rolling for Roscommon with a point in the second minute but Galway captain Gary O'Donnell replied a minute later for the home side.

Roscommon goalkeeper Darren O'Malley pointed a '45 in the seventh to edge the visitors ahead but Gary Sice opened his account with a free to tie things up in the 10th minute.

Enda Smith grabbed a goal for Roscommon in the 16th minute when the ball fell kindly for him. His handpass was batted down on the edge of the square by John McManus and Smith dispatched the ball past Brendan Power in the Galway goal.

Niall Daly notched a great score for the visitors to extend their lead to four points. Sice and Danny Cummins halved the deficit for Galway before Roscommon captain Ciaráin Murtagh and Cummins exchanged points.

Fintan Cregg and Daly scored points for Roscommon either side of a Johnny Heaney effort for Galway to give them a three point lead at half time.

Galway began the second half very well and points from Gareth Bradshaw and Damien Comer brought them to within a point of Roscommon.

Fintan Cregg made it 1-07 to 0-08 in the 40th minute before Galway hit three unanswered points through goalkeeper Brendan Power ('45), Cummins and Paul Conroy (free) to lead for the first time in the match with just over 20 minutes to go.

Murtagh brought Roscommon back on terms with a pointed free before Comer's point in the 57th minute gave Galway the slightest of leads. Gareth Bradshaw won a turnover for Galway before laying it off to Comer who provided the finish.

Roscommon were struggling to break down Galway's resolute defence and substitute Adrian Varley looked to have sealed a win for Galway with three minutes to go. His well-taken score gave them a two-point lead but Cathal Cregg and substitute Donie Smith had the final say.

Smith was fouled by Eoghan Kerin and the Boyle clubman kept his cool to split the posts and earn Roscommon a replay.

Galway: B Power (0-01, '45); E Kerin, D Kyne, D Wynne; G O'Donnell (0-01), L Silke, G Bradshaw (0-01); P Conroy (0-01, free), T Flynn; G Sice (0-02, frees), S Walsh, J Heaney (0-01); D Cummins (0-03), D Comer (0-02), E Brannigan. 

Subs: A Varley (0-1) for Sice (61), P Sweeney for Cummins (65), C Sweeney for Heaney (70).

Roscommon: D O'Malley (0-01, '45); S McDermott, S Mullooly, N McInerney; D Murray, S Purcell, J McManus; N Daly (0-02), C Compton; C Cregg (0-01), D Keenan, C Devaney (0-01); F Cregg (0-02, 0-01 free), E Smith (1-00), C Murtagh (0-02, 0-01 free).

Subs: D Smith (0-01, free) for E Smith (42), U Harney for Compton (52), T Corcoran for Keenan (61), D Shine for Devaney (65), S Kilbride for F Cregg (67).

Referee: C Lane (Cork)