Cork 1-26 Dublin 1-23

Alan Cadogan scored 1-05 as Cork advanced following a stiff test from 14-man Dublin in round 1 of the All-Ireland SHC qualifiers at Páirc Uí Rinn this evening.

The Rebels progressed on a three-point winning margin in the end, the Dubs having played the final 40-plus minutes of the game with 14 men following a second booking for wing-back Chris Crummey coming up to half-time.

However, with just four minutes of normal time left, the sides were tied at 1-22 each and Dublin’s Eamon Dillon wasted a great chance to put them in front, shooting wide after Cork sloppily allowed possession to be turned over close to goal.

Having been so disappointing in their Munster SHC quarter-final loss to Tipperary, Cork showed character here and dug deep to find the scores necessary for them to get the win.

Bill Cooper and Conor Lehane gave them breathing space and while David Treacy responded with his ninth point for Dublin, the search for an equaliser came to grief when Daire Plunkett was hooked by Aidan Walsh.

Walsh’s Kanturk clubmate, sub Lorcán McLoughlin, sent the ball down to the left corner, where it was won by Cadogan, who excellently took his fifth point and Patrick Horgan ensured that he would finish with 12 to his name as he sent over the clincher, putting Cork in Monday morning’s second-round draw.

They can take a lot of heart from this, but a less wasteful side than Dublin might have punished them more, with Treacy and Paul Ryan both off target from scoreable frees in the first half.

That said, Cork had nine wides of their own but in Cadogan they had a live wire as he scored 1-3 from four chances in the opening period.

Cork's Conor Lehane tackles Eoghan O’Donnell of Dublin

His goal, set up by the ever-industrious Luke O’Farrell, put them 1-6 to 0-7 in front and the same margin pertained at half-time as Cork turned with a 1-10 to 0-11 lead and also with an advantage in the human resources department following Crummey’s dismissal.

With Horgan largely on song from placed balls, Cork edged further clear upon the resumption, with sub Conor O’Sullivan performing effectively as the spare man.

Dublin weren’t gone away though and it took good Anthony Nash saves from Mark Schutte and Chris Bennett, who finished with four points, to keep them in front.

Treacy converted the 65 after the Bennett chance and then a free to leave it 1-15 to 0-16 as Cork were profligate with chances and Dillon made them pay with a well-taken goal from Bennett’s pass.

There were 18 minutes left but Cork didn’t panic and eradicated the goal’s effect with points from sub Daniel Kearney, Cadogan’s fourth and Horgan.

By the 60th minute it was 1-22 to 1-18 but Dublin came back with two each from wing-back Shane Barrett and Treacy, but the lead score remained elusive.

Cork had the extra reserves required and it is they who march on.

Cork: A Nash; M Ellis, D Cahalane, K Burke; A Walsh, C Joyce, C Murphy; W Egan, B Cooper; L O’Farrell, S Harnedy, J Cronin (Lisgoold); A Cadogan, P Horgan, C Lehane. Subs: C O’Sullivan for Murphy (half-time), D Kearney for Cronin (46), B Lawton for Egan (49), S Kingston for Harnedy (67).

Scorers: P Horgan 0-12 (0-08f), A Cadogan 1-05, C Lehane 0-03, D Kearney 0-02, W Egan, B Cooper, L O’Farrell, B Lawton 0-01 each.

Dublin: G Maguire; E O’Donnell, C O’Callaghan, J Madden; C Crummey, L Rushe, S Barrett; J McCaffrey, N McMorrow; D Treacy, R O’Dwyer, E Dillon; P Ryan, C Bennett, M Schutte. Subs: N Corcoran for Madden (half-time), S Treacy for Ryan (44), D O’Connell for McCaffrey (46), F McGibb for Schutte (62), D Plunkett for Bennett (67).

Scorers: D Treacy 0-09 (0-07f, 0-01 65), C Bennett, P Ryan (0-04f) 0-04 each, E Dillon 1-00, S Barrett, N McMorrow 0-02 each, J McCaffrey, C Crummey 0-01 each.

Referee: P O’Dwyer (Carlow).