Galway 1-27 Cork 1-21

Micheál Donoghue's first league game as Galway manager ended in victory as they defeated Cork by six points with a 1-27 to 1-21 scoreline in Division 1A at Pearse Stadium.

Joe Canning helped himself to nine points in a brilliant scoring display by the home side, while Galway led 1-15 to 1-09 at the break with help of a Niall Burke goal in the 17th minute.

Cork had enjoyed a bright start with Seamus Harnedy scoring their goal in the 11th minute, but their lead was short-lived as Galway took control after Burke's goal.

The Rebels reduced the deficit to three points just after half time, but Galway scored six unanswered points in eight minutes to lead by nine points with just over 20 minutes remaining.

The visitors fought back with Patrick Horgan in good form but Galway kept the scoreboard ticking over to ensure victory.

There was little between the teams in the opening quarter but Cork got their noses in front through Harnedy's goal. Cormac Murphy sent a high ball in and when Galway failed to clear, the St Ita's man was on hand to fire past James Skehill.

This put Cork 1-03 to 0-04 in front but Harnedy left the field injured less than a minute later and his replacement, Luke O'Farrell, almost grabbed a second goal in the 13th minute.

The Midleton man was played through by Patrick Horgan but his shot was beaten away by Skehill.
Galway responded with a point apiece from Davy Glennon and David Burke before Niall Burke got the home side's goal. New captain David Burke picked out Joe Canning who tapped the ball down to Niall Burke, and he raced clear to slot past Anthony Nash.

This made it 1-06 to 1-04 after 17 minutes and Galway finished the half strongly, outscoring Cork by nine points to five after Burke's goal to give themselves a deserved six point lead at half time.

Canning finished the half with five points while Glennon and David Burke impressed, scoring three points each.
Cork started the second half brightly with three Horgan points in as many minutes. But Galway took control in the 40th minute, scoring six times in the following eight minutes.

Canning contributed two of these while Padraig Brehony and Conor Whelan both scored their first points of the afternoon. Whelan's point ensured that all six of Galway's starting forwards were on the scoresheet.
Cork outscored Galway in the final twenty minutes with Horgan finishing with nine points. The visitors were in need of a goal to eat into Galway's lead but they couldn't find the breakthrough as Galway's defence held firm.

Substitute Jason Flynn had a chance to wrap it up in style for Galway but he failed to connect to a Canning pass and Nash batted it clear.

It mattered little though as two late scores from Canning, either side of another Horgan score for Cork, added gloss to the scoreline.

Galway: J Skehill; J Coen, J Hanbury, P Hoban; P Mannion, G Lally (0-01, 0-01f), A Harte (0-01); A Tuohy, David Burke (0-03); P Brehony (0-02), C Mannion (0-02), N Burke (1-02); C Whelan (0-03), J Canning (0-09, 0-07f), D Glennon (0-04).

Subs: D Collins for Tuohy (h-t), J Flynn for Glennon (55 mins), A Smith for Harte (67 mins), F Moore for Hoban (67 mins).

Cork: A Nash (0-01, 0-01f); S O'Neill, C Joyce, S McDonnell; A Walsh, W Egan, D Cahalane (0-01); C Murphy (0-01), L McLoughlin (0-01); B Cooper (0-02), P O'Sullivan (0-02), P Cronin; A Cadogan (0-01), S Harnedy (1-00), P Horgan (0-09, 0-05f).

Subs: L O'Farrell (0-01) for Harnedy (12 mins), D Kearney for Murphy (49 mins), C Lehane (0-01) for Cadogan (51 mins),B Lawton for O'Sullivan (60 mins), C McCarthy (0-01) for Cronin (60 mins).
Referee: B Kelly (Westmeath).