By Declan Rooney

Laois 0-16 Kildare 0-16

Kildare needed an injury-time point from substitute Tommy Moolick to force a replay after Laois looked like edging this 0-16 to 0-16 draw at O'Connor Park, Tullamore in the Leinster SFC quarter-final.

The sides will meet again at the same venue next Saturday, but Kildare will be the happier team after turning around a three point deficit with five minutes remaining.

Led by the excellent Donie Kingston, Laois staged a storming 15 minutes in the second-half to take control, but two Eoghan O'Flaherty frees and Moolick's late leveller save the day for Jason Ryan's side.

Despite winning the toss and electing to play with the very strong breeze, Kildare chose to line out with a two man inside forward line and to work the ball slowly across the field in search of openings.

As a result it came as little surprise to see Laois dominate the opening quarter and hold a 0-04 to 0-01 lead at that juncture.

Laois would have been happy to just nullify Kildare with that wind advantage and it took until the ninth minute for the game's first score to arrive when Damien O'Connor set up Donal Kingston to score from play.

That early Laois dominance was build from their lording the midfield, especially under their own kickouts. Brendan Quigley was particularly masterful and after Padraig Fogarty levelled the game with a tenth minute point, the O'Moore County surged ahead with three frees in four minutes.

A late call up to the starting team, Tom Shiel, landed the middle of those three points for Laois, with a super free from the right sideline, but slowly Kildare began to gain a footing in the game.

Fogarty settled the Lilywhites with a sweet 45 from the right, before Alan Smith kicked two points in as many minutes – the second was a good goal chance that clipped over via the crossbar – to square the game at 0-04 each by the 21st minute.

A silly foul from Ollie Lyons on Kingston resulted in a tap over free for the Arles Killeen man, and he kicked a lovely point from play from the kickout after Shiel and Conor Boyle put in the groundwork.

By and large Kildare dominated their own kickouts – their short quick, short restarts continually caught out Laois – and as the half wore on they began to mount attacks on the back of that well retained possession.

Points from Eamonn Callaghan and Smith drew Kildare level in the 28th minute, and they took the lead for the first time six minutes from the break when Gary White pointed, which was quickly followed by another O'Flaherty free.

And just before half-time Darren strong bagged two points, the second he punched over the bar instead of taking on Mark Donnellan when the goal chance presented itself.

After carrying a 0-09 to 0-08 lead into the break, Kildare worked a three-point lead by the 40th minute after O'Flaherty kicked a free and Emmet Bolton scored from play they looked likely to pull clear.

But Laois continued to score in bursts and three points in two minutes – frees from Munnelly and Kingston and a good point on the run from John O'Loughlin – levelled the game at 0-11 each.

The introduction of Tommy Moolick shortly after the restart did a lot to dampen Laois' midfield dominance though and after good work around the middle, he pointed via the post in the 47th minute to push Kildare one ahead once more.

The Lexlip man had a goal chance three minutes later which was well saved by the sprawling Graham Brody, but Paul Cribbin pointed from the rebound to double Kildare's lead.

But again the Lilywhites retreated back into their shells and allowed Laois to fight their way back level thanks to frees from Kingston and Munnelly, before Kingston pushed them ahead again with a 59th minute free.

Laois took control from that point and some good work from Kingston set up O'Loughlin for another super point, before Kingston landed his third from play to stretch Laois' lead to three points with five minutes left.

Callaghan came within inches of levelling the game but his goal attempt trickled wide with four minutes to go, but two O'Flaherty frees reduced the lead to one point with full time approaching.

And deep into injury time Moolick kicked the leveller for Kildare to force the replay, but substitute Paul Kingston could have won it at the death for Laois, but his shot from the right drifted wide. 

Laois: G Brody; S Attride, M Timmons, C Begley; R Kehoe, D Strong (0-02), D O'Connor; B Quigley, J O'Loughlin (0-02); N Donoher, C Boyle, E O'Carroll; R Munnelly (0-03, 0-03f), D Kingston (0-08, 0-05f), T Shiel (0-01, 0-01f).

Subs: C Meredith for Shiel (51 mins), B Sheehan for Meredith (64), P Kingston for O'Carroll (67) 

Kildare: M Donnellan; C Fitzpatrick, M O'Grady, O Lyons; K Murnaghan, F Conway, E Bolton (0-01); G White (0-01), P Cribbin (0-01); E Callaghan (0-01), E O'Flaherty (0-05, 0-05f), C McNally; P O'Neill, P Fogarty (0-03, 0-01'45, 0-01f), A Smith (0-02).

Subs: T Moolick (0-02) for McNally (41 mins), N Kelly for Fogarty (56), E Doyle for Murnaghan (59), F Dowling for O'Neill (66), D Hyland for White (69),

Referee: Cormac Reilly (Meath).