By Declan Rooney

Galway 5-19 Dublin 1-18

An 11-minute hat-trick from Cathal Mannion helped Galway to a convincing victory over Dublin after an enthralling Leinster SHC quarter-final replay at O'Connor Park, Tullamore.

Joe Canning also rattled two quick goals after the restart as Galway piled on the misery – the Tribesmen’s full-forward line contributed 30 points between them – but a total of eight bookings will annoy manager Anthony Cunningham.

Galway now face either Offaly or Laois in the Leinster semi-final in a fortnight's time, while Dublin face a wait to discover their qualifier opponents.

The first-half was action packed and a fiery affair, but with that extra passion and improved skill levels, Galway managed to destroy the Dublin full-back line thanks to Mannion's early exploits.

Dublin also missed two first-half penalties and only managed one point in the first 19 minutes. By that stage the result was all but secured; Galway had scored 3-10.

Mannion's first goal came after 45 seconds: a low, bullet-like shot to the bottom right corner of Alan Nolan's goal, and after a quick point from Andy Smith and a free from Jason Flynn – Joe Canning was relieved of dead ball duties for the day – he hit the same corner of net for the second time in the fifth minute.

A minute later David Treacy could have settled Dublin, but after Johnny Coen upended the Cuala man, his penalty sailed horribly wide.

Galway responded with a point from Canning after Jonathan Glynn found him in space and after Cyril Donnellan kept Galway ticking with another point Mannion completed his hat-trick moments later.

The third came straight from a long Colm Callanan puckout which bounced once in front of the Dublin goal and Mannion diverted it past Nolan with a clever flick, for his third goal in less than 11 minutes. Only then did Ger Cunningham relieve Paul Schutte of his marking duties.

Flynn made the most of the strong wind advantage to keep the scoreboard ticking over with a few long-range frees, but like they did last week, Galway drifted out of the game and Dublin tagged on four points in a row.

Flynn and Canning responded for Anthony Cunningham's side, though, although deep into stoppage-time Dublin were handed another opportunity to close the gap when John Hanbury fouled Ryan O'Dwyer inside the square.

Paul Ryan was introduced to take the penalty, but Callanan produced a stunning full-length save and turned the ball around the post.

Galway took a 3-13 to 0-7 lead into the break after Ryan landed the resultant ’65, but any slim hopes of a comeback were soon extinguished when Canning got in on the goal-scoring fun.

The Portumna man cut in from the right and batted past Nolan in the 38th minute and his clenched fist celebrations produced a reaction from the keeper that earned both players a yellow card.

Canning's dander was up, and after a couple of Dublin points, Galway's marksman fielded a long Iarla Tannian delivery at the edge of the square, turned and hit Galway's fifth goal.

The Dublin bench certainly made an impact in the second half, with Ryan adding seven points and Eamonn Dillon who goaled five minutes from time, but there was no way back for Dublin, who face the back-door route.

Galway: C Callanan; J Coen, J Hanbury, P Mannion; D Collins, I Tannian, Daithi Burke; J Cooney, A Harte (0-01); A Smith (0-01), C Donnellan (0-01), J Glynn; J Flynn (0-09, 0-07f), J Canning (2-03), C Mannion (3-03).

Substitutes: David Burke for Cooney (45 mins), P Brehony (0-01) for Donnellan (46), F Moore for P Mannion (58), G Lally for Coen (58), D Glennon for Smith (65).

Dublin: A Nolan; C O'Callaghan, M Carton, P Schutte; C Crummy, C Keaney, S Durkin; D O'Connell (0-02), S Lambert (0-01, 0-01f); R O'Dwyer (0-01), L Rushe (0-01), D Sutcliffe (0-01); D O'Callaghan, D Treacy (0-02, 0-01f), M Schutte (0-01).

Substitutes: P Ryan (0-07, 0-03f, 0-03'65) for Treacy (35+5 mins), E Dillon (1-01) for O'Callaghan (h-t), C Boland (0-01) for O'Dwyer (51), J McCaffrey for Carton (54), C Dooley for Ryan (68).

Referee: Brian Gavin (Offaly).