Antrim 2-5 Derry 1-17

Antrim’s dream of championship glory was blown apart by a commanding Derry performance in Casement Park this afternoon. A Paddy Bradley goal for Derry after just 20 seconds set the scene for things to come. Derry were 1-3 to 0-0 up in the sixth minute, but Antrim sensationally got back into the game with a goal from Peter McCann in the tenth minute, and a Shenie McQuillan penalty 10 minutes later, to leave the scores tied at 2-1 for Antrim, 1-4 for Derry.

That was as good as it got for the Glensmen, as Derry kicked six points without reply, three from the brilliant Tohill, to lead 1-9 to 2-1 at the break.

It was a similar story in the second half with Derry scoring almost at will, and dominant at midfield and at halfback, to run out convincing 1-17 to 2-5 winners, and set up an Ulster final clash with Armagh.

Dublin 1-14 Westmeath 0-11

Meanwhile, Dublin ran out easier winners than the 1-14 to 0-11 final score suggests, having been 1-13 to 0-7 up with 15 minutes to go. They took the foot off the gas, however, and let Westmeath in for scores that they needed in order to put respectability on the scoreline.

Westmeath started well going 0-2 to 0-0 ahead, and hitting the crossbar through Martin Flanagan. However, once Dublin got into gear, with a Jason Sherlock goal after 20 minutes giving them a 1-2 to 0-3 lead, they never looked back. A five point haul, two each from Jim Gavin and Brian Stynes, and one from Senan Connell, saw the Dubs lead 1-7 to 0-3 at half time.

Tommy Carr will be pleased with the performance of his team, and the variety of players who scored, but he stated after the match that there will have to be improvement for the Leinster Final.

Roscommon 3-6 Leitrim 1-13

In Connacht, a game of two half’s saw Leitrim shock opponents Roscommon with a one point win, the winning point coming in the final minute from Seamus Quinn. Roscommon dominated the first half, and three goals in six minutes saw them lead 3-4 to 0-8 at the interval, the goals coming from Lohan, Gilhooley and Dolan.

It was a different story in the second half, with the previously porous Leitrim defence tightening up considerably, so much so that they restricted the Roscommon forwards to just two points. Six minutes into the second half wing back Reynolds was in the right place to finish the ball to the net, to tie the scores 1-9 to 3-4.

It was tight and tense after that, with scores at a premium, until Quinn hit the winner on the stroke of full time, to see Leitrim through to a Connacht final meeting with either Sligo or Galway.