Mayo 0-10 Dublin 2-18

Dublin produced a superb first-half display to secure an invaluable Allianz Football League Division 1 victory at Elverys McHale Park in Castlebar when they ran out emphatic 2-18 to 0-10 winners over Mayo.

The Dubs laid the foundation for victory in the opening half when they outscored the home side by 2-10 to 0-06 and there was no way back for Mayo after that.

In the end, Dublin equalled their biggest ever league win over Mayo and would have set a new record had Kevin McLoughlin not reduced the margin to 14 with an injury-time free.

Dublin opened up a ten point lead with a devastating performance in the opening half which blew Mayo away.

Ironically, Mayo started well and efforts from Jason Doherty and Kevin McLoughlin gave the crowd of 13,548 plenty to cheer about.

But once Dublin got moving, they cracked openings in the home defence and struck for 1-5 in a blistering six-minute burst.

Tomas Brady got them off the mark after seven minutes and then Denis Bastick fired home the opening goal after a rasping shot came back off the crossbar after seven minutes.

Four more points quickly followed for Dublin to lead by 1-05 to 0-02 after 13 minutes before Doherty lifted the siege with a point.

But Dean Rock and Diarmuid Connolly responded for Dublin in a free-flowing encounter which only produced its first wide after 20 minutes when Brogan failed to connect with a fisted pass from Rock when a goal looked on.

McLoughlin soloed through to point for Mayo and reduce the margin to 1-07 to 0-04 but then Brogan scored Dublin’s second goal after 22 minutes, although it seemed that Kevin McMenamon had hopped the ball twice running through.

Another Doherty effort gave Mayo some hope and Mark Ronaldson also found the target before the interval, but by then Ciaran Kilkenny and Brogan, with his left foot on the left wing, had scored for Dublin to lead by 2-10 to 0-06 at the interval.

The second-half was a disappointing affair with early Dublin points from Jack McCaffrey and Paul Flynn killing off any notion of a Mayo comeback.

Dublin brought plenty of men back behind the ball but still outscored Mayo by double scores in the second-half - 0-08 to 0-04 - on a night when Jim Gavin’s men got their league aspirations firmly back on track.

Mayo: R Hennelly; T Cunniffe, K Keane, K Higgins; C Boyle, L Keegan, P Durcan; S O’Shea, D Vaughan; J Doherty (0-04, 0-03f), D O’Connor, K McLoughlin (0-03, 0-02f); M Ronaldson (0-01), A O’Shea, A Freeman.

Subs used: D Kirby (0-01) for Freeman (46), S Coen for Durcan (46), A Dillon (0-01) for O’Connor (50), M Sweeney for Ronaldson (51), B Moran for S O’Shea (53), G Cafferkey for Vaughan (63).

Dublin: S Cluxton; P McMahon, R O’Carroll, E Culligan; J Cooper (0-01), C O’Sullivan, J McCaffrey (0-02); D Bastick (1-00), T Brady (0-03); P Flynn (0-01), D Connolly (0-01), C Kilkenny (0-02); K McManamon, D Rock (0-06, 0-06f), B Brogan (1-01).

Subs used: M Fitzsimons for O’Carroll (35), J Small for Culligan (50), B Fenton for Bastick (59), E O’Gara for Brogan (59), J McCarthy for Brady (61), P Ryan (0-01) for McMenamon (63).

Referee: P O’Sullivan (Kerry).