Both of last season's top two teams took a tumble in the opening round of the Men’s Super League, with reigning champions Garvey’s Tralee Warriors falling to UCD Marian in the kingdom in a thriller, while Griffith College Templeogue lost out to Belfast Star after overtime. 

Down in Kerry, a fantastic first-half display from the hosts - who were without the services of Kieran Donaghy - saw Keith Jumper, Daniel Jokubaitis and Ivan Bogdanovic impress to send them into a 43-30 half-time lead.

Marian came back in style though in a third quarter that was dominated by Neil Baynes, and they edged into a four-point lead, 52-56.

The drama was far from over though, as the lead changed hands on numerous occasions in the last quarter. With just under a minute to go, a free throw from UCD's Barry Drumm saw the Tralee men go 72-71 in font.

But Drumm was on hand again moments later to float home the winning score and see Marian win it by one, 72-73.

Belfast Star meanwhile took home a memorable 94-92 overtime win against Griffith College Templeogue in another cracking contest.

Nothing separated the sides throughout, with the teams tied at 37 apiece at half-time.

A phenomenal 34-point display from Lorcan Murphy was one of the main talking points of the game, while Star’s Delaney Blaylock (25 points) and Keelan Cairns (22 points) were also to the forefront.

Despite leading 74-80 with just 1.06 to play in the fourth quarter, Templeogue couldn’t hold on, and Star stormed home some big baskets to tie the game at 80-80 and force overtime. They found their shooting range in this period, as it began to rain threes in De La Salle, Star holding on to win 94-92.

Elsewhere, Coughlan C&S Neptune got their season off to a flying start, running out 88-71 winners over Keane’s SuperValu Killorglin.

Spaniard Nil Sabata Vila dominated on both ends of the floor for the storied Cork side, with player/coach Lehmon Colbert chipping in with 12 points and Roy Downey and Kyle Hosford also impressing.

Pyrobel Killester ground out a hard-earned 75-83 win on the road to neighbours DCU Saints. Killester welcomed Isaac Westbrooks back into the fold and he made his mark immediately, finishing the game with 24 points.

Good performances from Farouq Raheem - who was particularly strong on the defensive end - Tomas Fernandez and Keith Anderson kept Killester’s scoring ticking over in the face of a hugely determined DCU Saints side, with Mike Bonaparte, Martins Provizors and Charlie Coombes shining brightest.

The other Dublin derby saw the battle of the newcomers as Abbey Seals Dublin Lions hosted DBS Éanna in Clondalkin.

A massive first quarter from the visitors set the tone for the game, as they took an early 9-26 lead into the second to see Lions on the back foot from early on.

Standout performances from Éanna’s Stefan Zecevic, Daniel Heaney and Neil Lynch kept the scores coming to help them to a first Super League win.

Maree came out on top of the big Galway derby, running out 58-70 winners over Moycullen at NUIG.

Darin Johnson led the scoring for Maree, finishing with 24 points. A strong third quarter from Moycullen saw them close the gap back to seven points thanks to good work from Connor Curran, but Maree took back control in the fourth and pushed on to win by 12 in the end.