DCU Mercy 68-30 11890 Killester

DCU Saints will meet UL in the final of the Women’s Superleague National Cup final thanks to a resounding 68-30 victory over 11890 Killester.

Killester started brightly, but saw their good work undone as the first quarter wore on as Lindsay Peat, Suzanne Maguire and Lisa Palmer began to click into gear.

Killester stuck to their task and were still very much in the game, but a huge three from Helena Kenny just before the buzzer gave DCU a 16-9 first quarter lead.

The second quarter was a low scoring affair with DCU slowly building their lead.

Killester were finding it almost impossible to break through the DCU rearguard registering just five points in the quarter. A half-time lead of 34-15 had DCU firmly in command.

The game lost its competitive edge in the third quarter as DCU rammed home their superiority, and the final scoreline was an adequate reflection on proceedings.

Team Montenotte Hotel Cork 59-71 UL

UL reached the final of the Women’s Superleague National Cup finals after eventually shaking off the challenge of Team Montenotte Hotel Cork on a scoreline of 71-59 at The Neptune Stadium.

Rachel Vanderwal contributed eight as UL surged into a 15-10 lead early on. Montenotte were unbowed, and aided a by the impressive Claire Rockall and Niamh Dwyer, closed the gap as UL led 17-15 at the end of the first quarter.

Montenotte began to find their range at the beginning of the second.

Amanda O’Regan shot from outside to give the Cork side the lead for the first time in the game. Thereafter it was an even affair with Montenotte showing impressive spirit in forging a 35-31 half-time lead.

The Cork side were succeeding in stemming the threat of Vanderwal, but the Canadian was always a lurking threat.

UL, however, possess plenty of attacking talent in their ranks, and Miriam Liston levelled the scores at 43 apiece with three minutes remaining in the quarter.

Rachel Clancy repeated the feat moments later as UL finally began to assert themselves on proceedings. UL held a 49-47 lead heading into the final quarter.

Michelle Fahy opened the fourth quarter in miraculous fashion for UL, somehow finding Vanderwal as the ball appeared to be heading out of bounds.

That stretched out UL’s lead to four. Two uncharacteristic misses from Clare Rockall kept UL’s lead intact.

Unfortunately such incidents often tend to be turning points in a game, and so it proved as UL pulled away in the closing stages.
Weldon’s side now have the opportunity to end a cup drought that stretches back to 2006.