250g Plain/cream Flour
30g Corn flour
60g Caster Sugar
1 egg yolk
· Sieve Flour and cornflour together
· Rub through cold butter until resembles fine bread crumbs be careful not to over mix.
· Mix Egg, sugar, and water together and add to crumbed mix to form a soft paste.
· Wrap in cling film chill for min 30mins.
450g (approx) Fresh Rubarb sticks washed and cut inti 2cm pieces,
150 g-175g sugar
15g (1 Tablespoon Cornflour)
To Make Tart:
· Use 250g for base pin out carefully to 3mm thick place onto greased 9" deep side pie dish
· Place in prepared rhubarb
· Wet edges of base
· Mix sugar and cornflour and sprinkle on top of rhubarb
· Pin out top with remaining 250g paste, Seal edges, put in a few steam escape holes.
· Bake @ 185C for 40mins turning 1/2 way. Sprinkle with sugar immediately after taking out of oven.
Protect base of oven with a oven liner or some baking parchment on a tray under pie dish to catch escaping juices
Rhubarb Meringue Fool
450 g (16oz) rhubarb, trimmed
175 g (6oz) golden caster sugar
50 ml (2fl oz) Cointreau – optional
3tsp corn flour mixed to paste with a little cold water
300 ml (½ pint) carton double cream
500 g Greek yogurt
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 meringue nests/ broken
6 pieces of crystallised ginger finely cut for decoration.
Stem ginger shortbread biscuits
1. Cut rhubarb into 2.5cm (1in) chunks. Put into a pan with 125g sugar, liqueur and 25ml (1fl oz) cold water. Bring to the boil; simmer gently until soft. Add cornflour paste and thicken allow to cool.
2. Whisk cream, yogurt, vanilla and rest of sugar (50g) until soft peaks
3. Divide among six 250ml (9fl oz) sundae glasses by layering cream , rhubarb puree , broken meringue pieces, until glass is filled finishing with some cream. Sprinkle crystallised ginger on top and serve with shortbread biscuits.
Rhubarb & Strawberry Ginger Crumble
450g Rhubarb washed and cut 2cm pieces
10-12 strawberries washed and quartered
150g caster sugar
180g Plain Flour
180g light brown sugar
100g Ground Almonds
1. Place prepared rhubarb and strawberries in a greased deep 10" oven proof pie dish sprinkle with sugar and add 30mls( 2Tblsp) water
2. Place all the crumble ingredients in food processor and pulse until crumble formed ( If no food processor: crush biscuits with rolling pin until fine and mix all ingredients together until crumble formed)
3. Sprinkle on crumble
4. Bake 180C for 35-40 mins
5. Serve warm with custard or Vanilla Ice cream