Prawn honey & lemon stir-fry
· 16 tiger prawns
· 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
· 1 egg white
· 1/2 tsp salt
· ½ lemon zest
· 120g plain flour
· 60ml chicken stock
· 1 tbsp soya sauce
· 3 tbsp caster sugar
· 3 tbsp honey
· 1 lemon juice
· 2 tsp cornflour
· Veg oil for frying
· 4 spring onions
· 1 tsp sesame seeds
· 100g cashew & peanuts (optional)
· Turn on your deep fryer and set at 180C.
· For the prawn marinade, add the vinegar, zest, salt, egg white to the prawns and mix well.
· Allow to marinade for 10 minutes.
· Once the prawns are marinated, add in the flour and mix until a sticky batter covers the prawns.
· Once coated, carefully drop into the hot oil and cook until golden brown and crispy.
· Remove and drain on a paper town.
· Cut the spring onions and keep the white ends for the sauce and the green tops for garnish.
· To make the sticky sauce, in a bowl add the chicken stock, lemon juice, soya sauce, caster sugar and honey mix well & set aside
· Into a hot pan, add some oil and add the spring onion ends and cook for 1 minute.
· To this add the sweet honey liquid to bring to a boil.
· Once it reaches a boil, dilute the cornflour in 2 tablespoons of water and add to the liquid.
· Stir this well until it thickens and continue to cook until it reduces and starts to caramelise.
· To this add the crispy prawns back into the sticky liquid along with the sesame seeds, nuts and mix.
· To serve, add with the spring onion green tops a squeeze of lemon juice and serve hot with boiled rice.
Asparagus, spinach, lemon & smoked trout quiche
270g plain flour
170g butter, room temperature
1 medium free range egg
5 medium free range eggs
5 medium free range egg yolks
100g sour cream
2 bunches asparagus
1 lemon zest
100g Irish smoked trout or salmon
75g Irish goats cheese
2 handfuls of washed fresh baby spinach
Salt & pepper
· Grease and flour a 10" loose bottom tart ring and set aside.
· For the quiche pastry, in a mixing bowl, mix the flour, butter and salt until a sandy texture is reached.
· To this add the egg and mix until a dough is reached.
· Wrap and pop into the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
· Once rested, roll out on a floured work surface and line prepared tart ring and chill for 20 minutes.
· Once this is chilling, preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
· To blind bake the tart shell, pace a sheet of parchment into the shell and fill with baking beans/rice.
· Place in the centre of a preheated oven and bake for 10/12 minutes or until the top of the pastry is turning golden brown.
· At this point remove the baking beans and return to the oven for a further 8-10 minutes until the shell is cooked and lightly golden brown all over. Set aside to cool until needed.
· For the filling, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, milk, sour cream, lemon zest and season. Set aside.
· Trim the ends of the asparagus and add the spears to the tart shell with the fresh spinach, cheese and smoked trout or salmon.
· Pour over the egg filling and return to the hot oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is lightly golden and set.
· Remove and allow to cool before removing from the tin.
Lemon Garlic baba ganoush
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 lemon juice & zest
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp natural yoghurt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper
pinch red chili flakes
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
· To make the baba ganoush, you can char the whole aubergine over an open gas flame or under a hot grill but I roasted mine in the oven.
· Preheat your oven to 220C/200C fan.
· Cut each aubergine in half and rub on some oil.
· Place the aubergine cut side down on a roasting tray and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
· Once roasted, remove and allow to cool slightly.
· Carefully scoop out the soft flesh and discard the skin, set aside.
· Into your food processor, add in the roasted aubergine, tahini, lemon juice & zest, garlic, natural yoghurt, cumin & pinch of red chili.
· Blitz these together until you have a smooth puree - If you prefer a baba ganoush with more texture, just blitz it less.
· Check for seasoning and set aside until needed.
· To serve, spoon the baba ganoush into a serving bowl, drizzle with rapeseed oil and top with toasted pine nuts, chopped chili and fresh parsley and serve with toasted flatbreads.
Triple Lemon Cookies
· 170g Butter
· 2 Tbsp Lemon Zest
· 150g Caster Sugar
· 55g Brown Sugar
· 1 Medium Egg
· Dash Vanilla
· 290g Plain Flour
· 1 Tsp Cornflour
· 1 Tsp Bread Soda
· Pinch Salt
· 2 Lemons
· 100g Caster Sugar
· 170g Butter
· 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
· Dash Vanilla
· 200g Icing Sugar
· For the cookies, cream the butter, lemon zest, caster sugar and brown sugar and mix until creamy and soft.
· Add the egg and vanilla, mix.
· To this add the flour, cornflour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and mix.
· Once mixed, chill dough for 2 hours.
· For the candied lemon peel, using a veg peeler, peel the lemon and cut these into strips.
· Add these to a pot with the sugar and add water to just cover and boil for 5 minutes.
· Strain the strips from the syrup, pat dry with kitchen paper and dust with caster sugar and set aside.
· Take the rested cookie dough, turn out onto a floured work surface.
· Line two trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan.
· Divide into 24 balls and place 12 on each tray, flatten slightly and place in the oven for 12-14 minutes.
· Once golden brown and baked allow to cool.
· For the lemon buttercream, place the butter, icing sugar, lemon zest and vanilla into a bowl and mix for a few minutes until soft.
· To assemble, spoon some of the lemon buttercream on top and spread over the cookie.
· Finish with the candied lemon peel and enjoy.
Zesty lemon bars
· 100g butter
· 50g icing sugar
· 1 lemon zest
· 175g plain flour
· 250g icing sugar
· 50g plain flour
· 5 medium eggs
· 250ml lemon juice
· Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan.
· Grease & line a 9" square baking tin with parchment. Set aside.
· For the base, cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest until soft.
· Add the flour and mix.
· Spoon the mix into the base of the tin and press down with a spoon.
· Bake for 30mins.
· Remove and allow to cool.
· For the topping, turn the oven up to 180C/160C fan.
· Whisk all Ingredients together, strain to remove any egg shells and pour this over the
· Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the topping has set and has a slightly wobble.
· Allow to cool completely to room temperature then chill.
· Portions into squares and enjoy!