RTÉ lyric fm Choirs for Christmas has returned for 2023! Join us on RTÉ lyric fm for our annual celebration of community, amateur choral music making from all around the island of Ireland.
RTÉ lyric fm Choirs for Christmas 2023 supported by Sing Ireland.
We know choirs up and down the country are busy rehearsing again and preparing for Christmas celebrations. We would love you to join in our choral celebration and send in a recording to the RTÉ lyric fm Choirs for Christmas Competition. We really look forward to hearing your performances and sharing your music making with the nation this Christmas!
As always, a selection of submissions will be chosen for airplay on Evelyn Grant's Weekend Drive from December 9th.
Need inspiration? Listen back to last year's overall winner:
BEST OVERALL CHOIR : €750
BEST OVERALL RUNNERS UP: €200
BEST YOUTH CHOIR: €200
BEST COMMUNITY / CHORAL SOCIETY CHOIR: €200
BEST PRIMARY SCHOOL CHOIR: €200
BEST SECONDARY SCHOOL CHOIR: €200
BEST PERFORMANCE OF A CONTEMPORARY IRISH CHORAL WORK*: €200 *Composed within the last 10 years - may include one of the RTÉ lyric fm Christmas Carols Commissions. A selection of scores can be downloaded below:
Adam Lay yBounden by Sebastian Adams
Christmas Day by Elaine Agnew
Curoo Curoo by Elaine Agnew
Stars of Wonder by Linda Buckley
Draíocht na Nollag by Linda Buckley with Music students of Presentation Secondary School, Cork
Sing Ireland is delighted to offer a scholarship to include the full participation fee for the 43rd International Choral Conducting Summer School which runs from the 10- 16 August 2024 in the University of Limerick. (The successful candidate will choose the level they would like to participate in for the Summer School in early 2024. Please note, accommodation and meals are not included. )
COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- All choirs - school, college, amateur and semi-professional - choral societies and chamber choirs are welcome to enter
- All music entries must be in MP3 format only and submitted by e-mail only - No other format will be accepted
- Please ensure the recording is suitable for airplay, requires no editing and shows the choir at their best!
- Please note by submitting your entry you are agreeing to RTÉ lyric fm publishing all details submitted
- Entries must be sent to email@example.com and must include the following:
- A correctly labelled MP3 recording (Please save the MP3 with the full name of the choir, town and county i.e. St Brigid's National School Choir, Castlebar, Co.Mayo)
- A high-res jpeg picture of the choir (labelled correctly as above)
- A short choir biography
- Details of the piece performed including title and composer and / or arranger
- Please submit details of any additional instrumentalists in the recording i.e. accompanist
- Full contact details for the choir director
- Mobile phone number
- Postal address
- E-mail address
- Where applicable, please provide your social media account names/handles on Facebook, Instagram or X.
- Optional - send in a video of your choir to be featured on the RTÉ lyric fm social media pages!
- Please do check this list twice: Ensure you attach all the above details in one email - incomplete entries or multiple emails with incomplete details will be deemed invalid
Closing date for the receipt of entries is Friday 1st December 2023, 6pm*
*Extended until Wednesday, 6th December at 5pm