RTÉ lyric fm Choirs for Christmas 2022 has finally returned! Join us on RTÉ lyric fm for our annual celebration of community, amateur choral music making from all around the island of Ireland - RTÉ lyric fm Choirs for Christmas 2022 supported by Sing Ireland.
We know choirs up and down the country are busy rehearsing again and preparing for Christmas celebrations. We would love you to join in our choral celebration and send in a recording to the RTÉ lyric fm Choirs for Christmas Competition. We really look forward to hearing your performances and sharing your music making with the nation this Christmas!
As always, a selection of submissions will be chosen for airplay on Evelyn Grant's Weekend Drive
And we all need that soundtrack to Christmas so all entries will be shared and available to listen to on on the RTÉ lyric fm Soundcloud page below.
If you'd like to listenback to entries from 2019 you can stream them here.
COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- All choirs - school, college, amateur and semi-professional - choral societies and chamber choirs are welcome to enter
- All music entries must be in MP3 format only and submitted by e-mail only
- No other format will be accepted
- Please ensure the recording is suitable for airplay, requires no editing and shows the choir at their best!
- Please note by submitting your entry you are agreeing to RTÉ lyric fm publishing all details submitted
- Entries must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the following:
- (1) A correctly labelled MP3 recording (Please save the MP3 with the full name of the choir, town and county i.e. St Brigid's National School Choir, Castlebar, Co.Mayo)
- (2) A high-res jpeg picture of the choir (labelled correctly as above)
- (3) A short choir biography
- (4) Details of the piece performed including title and composer and / or arranger
- (5) Please submit details of any additional instrumentalists in the recording i.e. accompanist
- (6) Full contact details for the choir director
- (7) Mobile phone number
- (8) Postal address
- (9) E-mail address
- (10) Please do check this list twice: Ensure you attach all the above details in one email - incomplete entries or multiple emails with incomplete details will be deemed invalid
Closing date for the receipt of entries is Friday 2nd December 2022, 5pm.
BEST OVERALL CHOIR : €750
BEST OVERALL RUNNERS UP: €200
BEST YOUTH CHOIR: €200
BEST COMMUNITY / CHORAL SOCIETY CHOIR: €200
BEST PRIMARY SCHOOL CHOIR: €200
BEST SECONDARY SCHOOL CHOIR: €200
BEST PERFORMANCE OF A CONTEMPORARY IRISH CHORAL WORK*: €200 *Composed within the last 10 years - may include one of the RTÉ lyric fm Christmas Carols Commissions. A selection of scores can be downloaded below:
Adam Lay yBounden by Sebastian Adams
Christmas Day by Elaine Agnew
Curoo Curoo by Elaine Agnew
Stars of Wonder by Linda Buckley
Draíocht na Nollag by Linda Buckley with Music students of Presentation Secondary School, Cork
RTÉ lyric fm is also pleased to announce the SING IRELAND CONDUCTING SCHOLARSHIP for a conductor in the competition to attend the Sing Ireland Annual International Choral Conducting Summer School 2023 held in the University of Limerick in August. The award may go to a conductor with a particularly high level of attainment and/or to a conductor who has shown great promise and skill. The bursary will cover the cost of fees for course tuition only (accommodation can be sought on campus at the University of Limerick if required during the course for those living outside of Limerick). www.singireland.ie