Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the question to show the answer or show all / hide all
- Q1.What devices is the RTÉ Player available on?
- Ways to Watch RTÉ Player
- Q2.What programmes can I watch on the RTÉ Player?
- Hundreds of hours of programmes from all categories of the RTÉ broadcast schedule as well as a special selection of On-Demand Libraries are available to watch on RTÉ Player. Note that for copyright reasons, some programmes cannot be viewed outside of the Republic of Ireland.
- Q3.Can I watch programmes from other channels on the RTÉ Player?
- Currently programmes broadcast on RTÉ One, RTÉ 2, RTÉ News Now and RTÉjr are available to watch RTÉ Player.
- Q4.How soon after broadcast are programmes added to RTÉ Player?
- We aim to make programmes available on RTÉ Player shortly after broadcast. If a programme is not available the day after broadcast on RTÉ One and RTÉ2, we may not have the rights to make it available on the RTÉ Player.
- Q5.How long are the programmes available on RTÉ Player for?
- Most programmes are available for 30 days from the day they were broadcast on RTÉ One or RTÉ2 television. The length of time can vary depending on the video-on-demand rights; some programmes are only available for 7 days but specially cleared programmes and our On-Demand Libraries are available for longer – sometimes up to a year. The date that the programme is available until is shown clearly on the programme page.
- Q6.Are children's programmes available on RTÉ Player?
- RTÉ Player is a catch-up service which provides a wide variety of programmes from the RTÉ broadcast schedule, alongside content in a Kids On-Demand library. Most children's programmes are available on RTÉ Player in the category marked "RTÉjr & TRTÉ" and "Kids On-Demand" Collection.
- Q7.I live abroad – can I watch programmes on the RTÉ Player?
- Due to rights restrictions, some programmes cannot be viewed outside of the Republic of Ireland. Overseas viewers can watch a selection of RTÉ programmes that are cleared for international audiences on desktop computers, iOS and Android devices. The RTÉ Player International app for iPhone and iPad lets you watch some of Ireland’s most popular TV programmes for free, while a paid subscription unlocks even more content and box sets.
- Q8.I live in Northern Ireland - can I access the RTÉ Player?
- We endeavour to make as many programmes as possible available on the RTÉ Player to users within the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. In some cases, rights restrictions mean that only users within the Republic of Ireland are allowed to access content. Access is therefore restricted using a technology called geo-blocking.
- Q9.I see the international version of the RTÉ Player even though I am located in Northern Ireland. What is the reason for this?
- If your ISP has issued an IP address that does not identify you as being located in Northern Ireland, then for copyright reasons you will be presented with the international version of the RTÉ Player. For more information see https://www.rte.ie/player/help/geo/
- Q10.Will the RTÉ Player work on my mobile phone or tablet?
- RTÉ Player is available through mobile apps on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices running iOS 8.0 or higher, and Android devices running 4.0 or higher.
- Q11.Will the RTÉ Player work on my modem/wireless/mobile data etc?
- We recommend that you have a minimum broadband speed of at least 1Mbps. We advise you to contact your wireless/mobile data provider to find out what levels of service they can offer you. If viewing on a mobile device, you may need to adjust the app's settings to enable streaming using mobile/cellular data.
- Q12.Will the RTÉ Player work on my games console?
- At present the RTÉ Player is not supported on any games consoles. From 18th January 2018, the legacy RTÉ Player app for Xbox 360 will no longer be available on that console.
- Q13.Can I watch RTÉ Player on my TV?
- RTÉ Player is also available on Virgin and Sky set-top boxes, and through an app on many Samsung and LG Smart TVs. Use of Chromecast and AirPlay on iOS devices is also supported. If your computer or laptop supports TV or A/V output you could also use it for viewing - please refer to your computer manual about connecting it to a TV set.
- Q14.Is there a high quality video option?
- RTÉ Player uses HTTP Adaptive Streaming which allows the video stream to change in quality depending on the speed of your broadband connection. On a desktop PC If you wish to manually adjust the quality of the video you can do so via the menu which is located at the bottom right of the video player window.
- Q15.How much bandwidth does watching a video use?
- RTÉ Player uses HTTP Adaptive Streaming to deliver video, this technology allows the video stream to adapt in quality depending on the amount of bandwidth you have available. The amount of bandwidth used will depend on which bit-rate is available to you. For example, if you watch an hour of video at 1024kb/s you could use up around 500MB of data.
- Q16.Can I download RTÉ Player programmes?
- Downloading RTÉ Player programmes is currently not possible.
- Q17.Do I need to register?
- No, you do not need to register to use the RTÉ Player. However, if you sign in with RTÉ ID, you will be able access a range of new features. These include seamless viewing, syncing favourites across devices and parental control. Please note that subscribing to RTÉ Player International via the iTunes App Store is not the same as creating a free RTÉ ID.
- Q18.What are the benefits of signing-in?
- By signing-in you can pick up programmes where you left off across multiple computers and devices. For example, you could begin a programme on your iPhone when you are on the bus and then resume watching from the point you left off on your laptop at home. You will be able to mark programmes as favourites so that you can quickly access the latest episode on different devices. A parental control feature is also available to help prevent children from accidently watching programmes intended for a Mature Audience.
- Q19.How do I sign-in?
- To sign-in you will need an RTÉ ID account. Click here for more information about RTÉ ID
- Q20.What is Parental Control?
- Parental control can be enabled to help prevent children from accidently watching programmes intended for a Mature Audience. The Parental Control PIN is not designed to be 100% secure and it is a parent or guardian's responsibility to ensure that their children are watching content that is appropriate for their age.
- Q21.How do I change Parental Control settings?
- Parental Control settings can be managed here
- Q22.Can I fast forward through the ads?
- Programmes in the RTÉ Player may include in-stream ads. It is not possible to skip these advertisements.
- Q23.Can I increase the size of the video?
- Yes you can watch programmes in full screen mode by clicking on the full screen button located on the Player’s control bar.
- Q24.I’m having issues viewing content using Google Chrome on Linux. What can I do?
- RTÉ Player requires Flash plug-in to play video content. However, certain functionality required for streaming video on RTÉ.ie is not supported by Google Chrome's Pepper Flash Player plug-in on Linux. As a workaround, you can enable the system Flash Player in Google Chrome. For more information, please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/enable-flash-player-google-chrome.html RTÉ is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- Q25.What information do you collect about usage of the RTÉ Player?
- RTÉ Player collects statistical information that allows us to enhance and improve RTÉ Player service. This information is collected anonymously and not attributed to individual users. RTÉ Player also uses browser’s local storage and Flash cookies to enable personalisation features such as Recently Watched and Favourites. For users who chose not to log in with RTÉ ID this information doesn’t leave their computer and remains completely private. For users who are using RTÉ ID, some personal information such as Recently Watched, Favourites or Parental PIN are stored in their RTÉ ID account. For information about how we use your data when you sign in with RTÉ ID, please visit our RTÉ sign-in Privacy Statement
- Q26.How can I advertise on the RTÉ Player?
- Please contact out our sales team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Q27.Why does RTÉ serve adverts on RTÉ Player?
- As a dual-funded broadcaster, RTÉ is statutorily mandated to sell advertising to fund the provision of a wide range of public services. Just as advertising appears on the television transmission of RTÉ programmes, it also appears on the RTÉ Player and is necessary to maintain the service to our audience.
- Q28.How do I manage ad blockers on a Google Chrome browser?
If an ad blocker has been installed on Google Chrome, the ad blocker software icon will be displayed in the browser toolbar (at the top of the browser). To disable the ad blocker:
With the ad blocker software disabled, you’ll be able to watch RTÉ Player programmes on your Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the ad blocker software icon in the toolbar
- From the menu select ‘Don't run on pages on this domain’
- A message will appear ‘AdBlock won't run on any page matching: www.rte.ie/’, click exclude.
- Q29.How do I manage ad blockers on a Firefox browser?
If an ad blocker has been installed on Firefox, the ad blocker software icon will be displayed in the browser toolbar (at the top of the browser).
To disable the ad blocker:
With the ad blocker software disabled, you’ll be able to watch RTÉ Player programmes on your Firefox browser.
- Click on the ad blocker software icon in the toolbar
- From the menu select ‘Disable on rte.ie’
- Q30.How do I manage ad blockers on an Internet Explorer browser?
If an ad blocker has been installed on Internet Explorer you will first need to enable the Status bar to access the ad blocker icon.
With the ad blocker software disabled, you’ll be able to watch RTÉ Player programmes on your Internet Explorer browser.
- Right click on the browser toolbar at the tip of the page
- Select ‘Status bar’ so it is enabled
- A toolbar will appear at the bottom of the page with an icon displayed for the ad blocker software.
- Click on this icon.
- From the menu select ‘Disable on www.rte.ie’