RTÉ has collaborated with the National Council for the Blind of Irealnd (NCBI) to improve accessibility of RTÉ Player.
As a result the RTÉ Player XL interface has been designed for use with the popular screen-reader application - JAWS.
More information on JAWS and other available assistive technologies can be found on the NCBI website
RTÉ Player Subtitles FAQ
- Q1.What programmes are the RTÉ Player subtitles available on?
- Subtitles are available on the majority of programmes. In certain instances some programmes cannot be viewed with subtitles if a file has not been supplied by the content provider. We endeavour to provide subtitles on all programming where possible.
- Q2.What devices are RTÉ Player subtitles available on?
- Subtitles are available on applicable programmes on the RTÉ Player website, the RTÉ Player iOS app, and the RTÉ Player Android app. ISL (Irish Sign Language) programmes transmitted on RTÉ television are also available on the Player.
- Q3.How do I enable subtitles on my desktop/laptop?
- To activate subtitles on your laptop or desktop computer, press play on a subtitled programme and click the closed caption ‘CC’ button. The CC button appears on the right hand side of the timeline below the video screen.
- Q4.How do I enable subtitles on Apple iOS device?
- Ensure you are using the latest version of RTÉ Player app available from the App store. Press ‘watch now’ on the programme of choice and tap the bottom right corner of your iOS screen. A keyboard symbol will appear. Tap the keyboard symbol and tick the 'On' button and then tap 'Done' to close.
- Q5.How do I enable subtitles on my Android device?
- Ensure you are using the latest version of RTÉ Player app available from the Google Play store. To activate subtitles, press play on a subtitled programme and press the closed caption ‘CC’ button. The CC button appears on the right hand side of the timeline below the video screen.
- Q6.How soon after broadcast are subtitled programmes added to RTÉ Player?
- We aim to make subtitled programmes available on the RTÉ Player shortly after broadcast . If there are issues with subtitles on the original broadcast on RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and RTÉjr this will affect the play-out of the subtitles on the Player. All efforts are made to prevent any issues on the original broadcast of subtitles.
- Q7.Can I watch live subtitled events?
- RTÉ Player streams content cleared for live streaming from RTÉ One and RTÉ Two television. Subtitles will be made available on programmes marked in the schedule. RTÉ’s most popular sport and political programmes are available on RTÉ Player. We will supply subtitled content where available. In the case where subtitles are not obtainable to a satisfactory level, a description in the programme text will note where subtitles cannot be provided.
- Q9.Subtitling providers
- Live subtitling is done for both RTÉ Television and RTÉ Player using live subtitle operators located outside RTÉ. By its nature live subtitling quality is different to prepared subtitle quality and this should be taken into account.
- Q10.Are Children's programmes available with subtitles on RTÉ Player?
- The RTÉ Player is a catch-up service which provides a wide variety of subtitled programmes from the RTÉ broadcast schedule. Most children's programmes are available on RTÉ Player in the category marked "RTÉjr & TRTÉ". Subtitled programmes will be available where supplied by the content provider.
- Q11.Will the RTÉ Player subtitles work on my mobile phone or tablet?
- RTÉ Player subtitles are currently available through the RTÉ Player apps available for devices running iOS 6 or Android 4 and above.
- Q12.Do I need to register?
- No, you do not need to register to watch subtitled content on the RTÉ Player. However, if you sign in with RTÉ ID, you will be able access a range of features. These include seamless viewing, syncing favourites across devices and parental control.
- Q13.Will the RTÉ Player subtitles work on my game console?
- At present RTÉ Player subtitle content is not available on the Xbox 360 games console.
- Q14.How can I contact the RTÉ player?
- Please contact out our team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome all feedback.
- Q15.Can I download RTÉ Player subtitled programmes?
- Downloading RTÉ Player programmes is currently not possible.