The number of US troops injured in an Iranian missile attack has risen to 109, more than double what President Donald Trump had originally said.
Earlier this year Iran dropped missiles on the Al Asad airbase in Iraq, a United States armed forces base located in Iraq.
When the attack happened, US President Donald Trump said he was 'impressed' at the fact that no US soldiers had died. He said that "all is well," and after the assessment of casualties "so far, so goo."
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Talking about the attack, Trump said that "they landed in a way that didn't hit anybody," and that only a few had been injured.
He described the injuries as "headaches" which he didn't consider similar to other injuries, such as losing a limb.
In a press conference the day after the attack, he said; "I'm pleased to inform you the American people should be extremely grateful and happy," Trump said.
"No Americans were harmed in last night’s attack by the Iranian regime. We suffered no casualties."
Since then, the number of soldiers injured in the attack has risen to 109 with 33 of them unable to return to work and 21 of them have been transferred back to the U.S. for further evaluation and treatment.
Despite the new figures, Trump still refers to those affected as having "mild traumatic brain injuries".
The attack came after the US killed Iranian Major-General Qasem Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force and one of Iran's most loved people..
He was killed in an air strike at Baghdad airport.