Haiti has suspended Oxfam's operations pending the outcome of its investigation into allegations that staff of the British-based charity sexually exploited Haitians after a devastating earthquake in 2010.
The country's ministry of planning and foreign aid said Oxfam had made a "serious error" by failing to inform Haitian authorities of the actions by its staff at the time they occurred.
"These reprehensible acts, alleged crimes, acknowledged by the perpetrators as well as the non-governmental organisation, are a serious violation of the dignity of the Haitian people", a government statement said.
Meanwhile, Haiti's Planning and External Cooperation Minister said that the decision had been made on the grounds of "serious failings" by Oxfam between 2010 and 2011.
He also said that a definitive decision on the charity's right to operate in Haiti would be made in some two months time.
Earlier this week, the charity said that it is investigating 26 new cases of sexual misconduct that had been reported since the scandal broke earlier this month over its handling of a 2011 case in Haiti.
Mark Goldring, the charity's chief executive, told a parliamentary committee in London that 16 of the cases related to its international operation.
He apologised "wholeheartedly" on behalf of Oxfam to the committee, which said it would conduct its own inquiry into abuses in the foreign aid sector.
He said safeguards had been put in place following an internal investigation in 2011 into the behaviour of some Oxfam staff in Haiti, but he admitted that the charity had not gone far enough.
Last week, the charity announced an action plan to tackle sexual harassment and abuse, including creating a new vetting system for staff.
The charity formally apologised to Haiti on Monday over the prostitution scandal rocking the aid charity.