The family of a 28-year-old man murdered by loyalists in 1989 have welcomed the conclusion of their civil action against the British military and Norther Ireland's police service and are now demanding a proper inquest into the killing.

Father-of-four Loughlin Maginn was shot dead by the UDA in his home in Rathfriland, Co Down, in August 1989.

The UDA carried out the murder and used Mr Maginn's inclusion in security force files in an attempt to publicly justify it.

His family took a case against the British Ministry of Defence and the PSNI - the successor to the RUC.

This morning, the family settled their action against the State. At Belfast's High Court the family arrived for the conclusion of the case.

They were awarded what is understood to be a significant sum as well as costs.

Mr Maginn's daughter Grace said no matter what the amount was, it would never compensate them for the murder of a husband and father.

"No family should have to suffer this long for truth," she said.

Loughlin Maginn was shot dead in August 1989

Two serving members of the UDR - a locally recruited regiment of the British army - were convicted of the murder.

After the killing, it emerged that the UDA had entered an army base and taken a video tape of a UDR intelligence briefing which contained references to Mr Maginn.

They used it to target him, leading to his murder.

The RUC had advance knowledge of the plan to steal the intelligence, but made no attempt to stop it.

The video tape was subsequently shown to journalists in an attempt to justify the killing.

That led to several investigations into allegations of security force collusion with loyalists, including a high profile inquiry by the former chief constable of London's Metropolitan Police, John Stevens - key findings of which remain unpublished.

The family said they would continue to campaign for a fresh inquest in the case

Solicitor for the Maginn family, Gavin Booth, welcomed the conclusion of the civil case.

"Our clients are delighted that today the PSNI and Ministry of Defence have finally settled their case, which has been ongoing since 1992," Mr Booth said.

"Today should mark a significant milestone in the family's journey for justice.

"While some of the truth is now known as to what happened to Loughlin Maginn, many questions remain unanswered and many of those responsible have been allowed to escape justice."

The family said they would continue to campaign for a fresh inquest in the case.

They expect a decision on that in the coming weeks.