An investigation is under way into a fire at a flat complex in Northern Ireland.

Seven people were rescued from the complex after a motorbike was set on fire in a hallway.

Residents of the two-storey block in the Ardoyne Road in Belfast were trapped in their homes due to smoke, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said.

The fire was reported at about 5.20am.

The residents had to be taken out by firefighters using ladders and breathing apparatus, while other crews fought the blaze.

A number of people were treated for smoke inhalation and the communal hall and doors of flats were damaged in the fire.

A NIFRS spokesman said: "The occupants were alerted early, by smoke alarms actuating in the hallway.

"NIFRS control staff reassured callers and provided lifesaving advice to those trapped until fire crews arrived on scene."

The PSNI said the fire was being treated as malicious and officers appealed for witnesses.