A former Tory MP, Imran Ahmad Khan, jailed for groping a 15-year-old boy has lost a Court of Appeal challenge against his conviction and sentence.

The 49-year-old was jailed for 18 months at south London's Southwark Crown Court in May, after being found guilty of sexual assaulting the teenager after a party in 2008.

Two days after winning his seat in Wakefield in West Yorkshire in the December 2019 UK general election, Khan contacted one of the victim's relatives expressing concerns about the 2008 incident, and the victim later went to the police.

Khan was expelled from the Conservative Party and resigned, triggering a by-election in the constituency, following his conviction.

The former MP brought an appeal which was heard at the Court of Appeal in November. His lawyers argued that his conviction was "unsafe" because the case against him was "weak" and was bolstered by "bad character evidence" in the form of a man who alleged he had been sexually assaulted as an adult by Khan in Pakistan in 2010.

They also argued his jail term was too long for the offence and should have been suspended. But both appeals were dismissed by three senior judges in a ruling today.

Dismissing the conviction appeal, Mr Justice Sweeney said: "The (trial) judge was plainly entitled to conclude that the prosecution case in relation to (the victim's) complaint was not weak. Indeed, in our view, the case was far from weak."

"Against that overall background, we have no doubt that the appellant's trial was fair and that his conviction was safe."

Justice Sweeney said the judge also gave due consideration to suspending the sentence, especially in light of Khan's frail mother's care needs and the fact he was her sole carer before he was jailed, but concluded custody was necessary in all the circumstances.

He added: "In our view, on the particular facts of this case, he was entitled to reach that conclusion."

Passing sentence in May, Judge Jeremy Baker said Khan had displayed a "significant degree of brutality" in the lead-up to the assault, as he dragged his victim upstairs and threw him on to a bed.

The court also heard how he forced the then teenager to drink gin and tonic and asked him to watch pornography before the attack at a house in Staffordshire.

The victim, who cannot be identified, said he was left feeling "scared, vulnerable, numb, shocked and surprised" after the then 34-year-old Khan touched his feet and legs, coming within "a hair's breadth" of his privates, as he went to sleep in a top bunk bed.

The court heard the victim was "inconsolable" when he ran to his parents after the attack.

A police report was made at the time, but no further action was taken because the boy did not want to make a formal complaint.

However, he told jurors "it all came flooding back" when he learned Khan was standing in the general election.

He said he was not "taken very seriously" when he made the allegation to the Tory press office days before Khan won the Wakefield seat, and went to police after Khan helped the Conservatives win a large majority.

Khan claimed he only touched the teenager's elbow when he "became extremely upset" after a conversation about his confused sexuality.

The politician said he was trying to be "kind" and "helpful", but the boy became upset and "bolted" when the topic of pornography was raised.

Khan was found guilty of a single count of sexual assault after about five hours of deliberations by a jury.

Before entering parliament, Khan worked for the United Nations as a special assistant for political affairs in Mogadishu.