A Sinn Féin-sponsored bill to strengthen the functions of the Financial Services Ombudsman has become the first bill sponsored by an opposition TD to pass through the current Dáil and Seanad.

The main provision of the bill is to remove the six-year rule which prevents consumers making complaints against financial institutions which are more than six years old.

It will now go to President Michael D Higgins to be signed into law.

Sinn Féin got the cooperation and support of the Department of Finance to enable the bill to pass into law. 

The party's finance spokesman Pearse Doherty said he was delighted with the result.

He described the bill as a major step forward for consumer protection.

Fianna Fáil's finance spokesman Michael McGrath said the bill was "a fine piece of work" and he commended Deputy Doherty for getting it through. 

Junior Minister Michael D'Arcy also commended opposition parties for cooperating with each other and for improving the bill. 

The legislation is retrospective in nature, and allows complainants who have been prevented from having their case heard because of the six-year rule, to resubmit their application and have it dealt with.

Meanwhile, Sinn Féin has announced a reshuffle of its frontbench.

The key changes include Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire becoming the party's spokesperson on Justice and Equality, while David Cullinane takes over Foreign Affairs with special responsibility for Brexit.

Jonathan O'Brien becomes the party's junior spokesperson on Finance and Public Expenditure and Reform while Carol Nolan moves to Rural and Community affairs and Kathleen Funchion takes on Education.

Seán Crowe will now have responsibility for European Affairs, while Denise Mitchell moves to children and Youth affairs.

It is understood Mr Crowe will became chair of the Oireachtas Good Friday Agreement committee in September.

Sinn Féin has demanded a review, and ultimately the abolition, of the employment scheme JobPath.

The scheme aims to find work for people who are long-term unemployed.

The party said it has been told of "horrendous" stories about JobPath.

They have described it as worse that the previous, much-criticised, scheme known as JobBridge, which was scrapped last year.

Party spokesperson John Brady said the work involved pays only minimum wage rates and there is no upskilling of workers.

He said too that Government are refusing to provide figures for the funding of the scheme that was contracted out to private companies in 2015.

Yesterday, the Labour Party announced that it was also reshuffling its team in Leinster House.