Three staff members at a medical device factory at Carrigtwohill in east Cork needed precautionary hospital treatment overnight following a gas leak in a refrigeration room at the plant.

The alarm was raised at the Stryker Medical Devices factory shortly after 1am following the escape of what is believed to have been a toxic gas.

The factory was evacuated and the refrigeration room sealed off. 

The three staff members were taken to Cork University Hospital for treatment after complaining of nausea, headaches and sore eyes.

It is understood the Health and Safety Authority has been made aware of the incident. 

The company has also begun an investigation into the leak.

Meanwhile, Washington Street in Cork City centre remains closed as fire fighters continue to dampen down a fire which broke out earlier this morning at a takeaway restaurant.

Five units of the Cork City Fire Service responded to the alarm which was raised just after 11 am at Lavish.

 One staff member needed medical treatment for minor injuries and was taken to Cork University Hospital.