Over €10,000 has been raised for a soccer club in Drogheda, Co Louth in less than 24 hours, after a storage container containing all its equipment was set on fire.

The fire service was called to the blaze at the Drogheda Boys and Girls FC grounds, which is located at Marley's Lane, yesterday morning.

Almost 30 children, aged six and seven, had arrived for training at the club only to find the container which had all the equipment in flames.

In a statement last night, the club praised the coaches who went ahead with the training session despite what had happened and as firefighters worked to put out the blaze.

The club also thanked the fire service and the gardaí for their work.

Anyone who has information about the blaze is being asked to contact the gardaí in Drogheda.