The Taoiseach has said he is prepared to delivery an apology to those who had their birth certs illegally registered to the Dáil.
"I have heard what survivor groups and victim groups have said", Micheál Martin said, "and of course I am more than willing to do this".
He was replying to Social Democrats Cian O'Callaghan who said an apology from Minister for Children Roderic O'Gorman was delivered in the Seanad and "with little notice".
"And we will engage now with the Minister, and also with other groups in terms of timing and how that will be done. Because what happened here was shocking", Mr Martin said.
It comes after yesterday's apology from the minister was criticised by some adoption campaigners and politicians.
Asked by @OCallaghanCian if he is willing to make an apology to those whose births were illegally registered, Taoiseach @MichealMartinTD said 'I have heard what survivor groups and victim groups have said, and of course I am more than willing to do this' | https://t.co/a06rP32Uyd pic.twitter.com/0lf3H2G2vd— RTÉ News (@rtenews) May 11, 2022
Special Rapporteur for Child Protection, Prof Conor O'Mahony, who proposed the apology initially, has said the idea in principle in delivering the apology was the right one as it was something that the people affected did want.
"My report, which I had prepared for the Government on the issue of illegal birth registration, had recommended that if an apology was something which people affected by the issue wanted to see happen, then it should happen.
"And so, I think the idea of delivering that apology was the right one because I think certainly it was something that the people affected by illegal birth registrations wanted to see."
Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Dr O'Mahony said the 24-hour notice was "not ideal" and "unfortunate" because it did not give people a chance to prepare themselves or to perhaps go to hear the apology in person.
He said there has been a call from people affected by the issue for the Taoiseach to repeat the apology in the Dáil.
"Previous apologies on these sorts of historic wrongdoings have come from the Taoiseach in the Dáil," he said.
"...some people felt that this was a form of lesser apology, given that it came from a minister in the Seanad and that it didn't have quite the same status and that left them feeling that they didn't get quite the same acknowledgement from the State that occurred in previous cases.
"Ultimately, the whole purpose of an apology like this is that it is to try to provide some comfort to people who experience very significant wrongdoing over a very long period of time in a context where the State failed to take steps that could have mitigated or prevented that wrongdoing.
"And so if the entire purpose of the apology is to seek to provide comfort to those people, then if they would wish to see the Taoiseach repeat it, then I think that should happen."
Prof O'Mahony said that the bill that was discussed in the Dáil last night will allow people to piece together their identity using documentary evidence from the records.
Speaking on the same programme, Anne O'Connor from the support group 'In It Together' said the statement at the beginning of the apology annoyed her, because this issue had been known about since the 1950s and did not come to light in 2018 as the minister said.
Ms O'Connor said she only received notice of the apology via an email on Monday and she hopes to get more notice if a State apology is given.
She said she would like the "appalling manner in which many of us were told" to be acknowledged in such an apology.
Speaking about her own experience, Ms O'Connor said she has used DNA to figure out who she is.
"I'm really glad that I have information inside myself … and I've been able to use that to establish who I am and who my family are and make beautiful contact with my mother, who's still alive, and the wider family."