A 39-year-old man has died after suffering an apparent head injury during an alleged assault in Sligo.
The incident took place on Tuesday evening in the vicinity of Rockwood Parade in the town.
The man has been named locally as Russell Forde from the Cranmore area of Sligo town.
He was treated at the scene shortly after 5pm on Tuesday and brought to Sligo University Hospital. He was then transferred to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin, where he died early this morning.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
Gardaí said the death is being treated as suspicious and a post-mortem examination will take place.
No arrests have been made and gardaí have appealed for witnesses.
They are asking anyone with information to contact Sligo Garda Station on 071- 9157000, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800-666-111 or any garda station.
Gardaí said the man's death is not linked to the deaths of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee last week.