A 51-year-old man has been found guilty of the murder of an Irish woman in Australia 23 years ago.

Bradley Edwards was convicted of murdering 27-year-old Ciara Glennon in Perth in March 1997.

He was also found guilty of the murder of another woman, Jane Rimmer, a year earlier.

Edwards was acquitted of the murder of a third woman, Sarah Spears, in 1996. Her body has never been recovered.

He will be sentenced in December.

Dubbed the Claremont Serial Killings, the deaths of the three women convulsed Perth and Western Australia over a 15-month period in the late 1990s.

The crimes began when 18-year-old Sarah Spears went missing in the Claremont area of the city in January 1996.

Six months later in June 1996, 23-year-old Jane Rimmer was murdered. Her body was found two months later.

On 15 March 1997 Ciara Glennon was abducted. The remains of the 27-year-old solicitor were found north of Perth the following month.

The crimes triggered the biggest murder investigation in Australian history, which ran for almost a quarter of a century.

Despite an extensive police investigation and numerous public appeals, it was not until forensic evidence was sent for analysis in 2008 that a breakthrough came in the inquiry.

Tests matched DNA samples found under the fingernails of Ciara Glennon to somebody who had not been previously suspected of involvement in the murders.

Ultimately, in December 2016, the sample was matched with Bradley Robert Edwards.

He had been detained in relation to a number of earlier attacks on a series of women.

Today at the Central Law Courts in Perth, Judge Stephen Hall, issued his verdict following a 95 day trial.

He said he was satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the same person killed Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon.

And he was satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that that person was Bradley Edwards.

Justice Hall said there were a number of similarities between the two women's deaths.

In both cases they had defensive wounds and both had been killed in the same manner. Both had fibres found on their bodies, which were consistent with being in a car owned by the company Edwards worked for.

The DNA evidence was the key factor in securing the conviction.

The trial was held without a jury, given the huge level of coverage that attached to the inquiry over the last two decades.

After the verdict was delivered, relatives of the three victims left the court separately. Ms. Glennon's parents - Denis, who is originally from Westport in Co. Mayo and his wife Una -  made no comment to reporters as they left the building.

Police Commissioner, Chris Dawson, told the media that the family did not wish to make any further public statement at this time.