skip to main content

Hundreds attend vigil for man who died after assault

People laying flowers at a vigil for Alex Coughlan, who died after a serious assault in Dublin last week
The vigil was held on the Mill Road near Blanchardstown village

Around 500 people have gathered for a vigil in memory of Alex Coughlan at the place where he was assaulted near Blanchardstown village.

Mr Coughlan, who was 37 years old, suffered serious injuries after he was assaulted on the Mill Road on 17 May.

He was found unconscious on the Mill Road and brought to hospital in a critical condition.

He died three days later.

a photograph of Alex Coughlan on a distorted background
The vigil was held in memory of Alex Coughlan

Many of those attending the vigil brought flowers to add to bouquets left near the area where Mr Coughlan was assaulted.

At the request of the family, the vigil was silent and did not include banners or speeches.

Many of those who were attending live locally and expressed shock that this could happen on the Mill Road, which many walk on their way to and from Blanchardstown village in broad daylight on a Sunday afternoon.

Some said they were very disappointed that no local TD attended the vigil.


Watch: Locals pay tribute to man who died after Blanchardstown assault


Chairperson of the Irish Muslim Peace and Integration Council, Dr Umar Al-Qadri, who lives in Blanchardstown, said "this tragedy feels especially close to home".

In a social media post, Dr Al-Qadri said "far too many young people are becoming involved in violence, and it has to stop before more innocent lives are lost".

"Our communities deserve to feel safe, and meaningful change is needed to ensure tragedies like this never happen again," he said.

He added: "I sincerely hope those responsible are held fully accountable and that some real lesson is learned from this tragedy."

Dr Al-Qadri said his thoughts are with Alex Coughlan's family and friends, "and everyone who knew and loved him".