Denny House was Ireland's longest surviving mother-and-baby home.
1,416 mothers and 1,134 children were resident at the home between 1922-1944.
Before 1980 it admitted single protestant women but after 1980 it admitted women of all religions.
It then changed its name from the Magdelene Asylum to Denny House.
It was originally on Leeson Street but moved to Eglinton Road in 1959.
Most women gave Dublin addresses, over 13% came from counties Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal.
Almost 10% were from Northern Ireland.
There was no evidence that Denny House was overcrowded at any time and was less regimented than other homes.
In the 1950s women went shopping, to the cinema and the Gaiety pantomime.
Religion had a prominent place. The matron conducted daily prayers, mothers were 'churched’, there were bible classes and hymn singing sessions.
Women were expected to carry out some domestic chores.
Legal adoption was the most frequent exit pathway in the 1950s and 1960s.
From 1980, Denny House supported women who needed support in parenting their child, mothers and babies needing long term accommodation and women who were sorting out their relationship with their parents or the father of the child.
A total of 55 children died in the home. Infant mortality was consistently lower than other mother-and-baby homes.
The small numbers resident was a factor in the low mortality. Women were screened on admission and breastfeeding was almost universal.
Denny House closed in 1994.
180 mothers and 200 children were resident in another Dublin home called Miss Carr's Flats between 1972 and 1998.
It was not a traditional mother-and-baby home.
It provided hostel type supported accommodation that enabled unmarried mothers and deserted wives to raise their children.
It was established by Miss Carr’s Children's Home, a long established protestant children's home.
Miss Carr’s purchased a nearby house, having borrowed the necessary money, and they sought financial assistance from the Eastern Health Board.
The Department of Health eventually approved this application on condition that the flatlets would be non-denominational. It was a private institution, run by a general committee.
There were nine flatlets in a large house. The residents were expected to be self-supporting; many of the mothers would have qualified for Unmarried Mother’s Allowance.
Residents could avail of the nursery in Miss Carr’s Children’s Home at a cost of £3 a week.
There are no records of any maternal deaths.
Records show that there were three infant deaths, which all occurred within an 18-month period between September 1979 and February 1981.
The first infant death is recorded as a cot death. A second cot death is also recorded and a third baby died from viral pneumonia.
The majority of children appear to have remained with their mothers after leaving Miss Carr’s Flats.