Dublin City Council is rowing back on plans to ban private cars from Eden Quay.

And it is also going back on plans to divert cars from other sections of the North Quays to make way for the Liffey Cycleway.

Reports to councillors acknowledged that there has been considerable opposition to both schemes.

It is now proposed to allow one lane of general traffic to travel straight from Bachelor's Walk to Eden Quay towards Dublin Port.

And the reports also proposed to build a boardwalk to cater for the Liffey Cycleway at Ellis and Arran Quays which would mean private cars would not have to be diverted from that section of the Quays.

A report from Brendan O'Brien. the City Council's head of Technical Services, found that the closure of Eden Quay to private cars had led to a large number of objections from local businesses concerned about access particularly to the National Convention Centre, The 3 Arena and Dublin Port.

The report stated that this measure was proposed because of the need to allow Luas trams on the new Cross City line to clear every three minutes during peak times.

The measure was also proposed to facilitate Dublin Bus vehicles turning right from bus stops on Bachelor's Walk to get into right-turning lanes for O'Connell Bridge which had proven to be a source of congestion.

Mr O'Brien said that new traffic lights could give bus priority on Bachelor's Walk and allow one lane of general traffic to travel onto Eden Quay.

"It does mean that general traffic will be queued particularly at peak times at the new traffic signals while public transport vehicles clear the space before them. However it does try to differentiate between commuter and consumer traffic as when traffic is light the delays to general traffic would be minimised," he said.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

However the Council is still planning to go ahead with extending bus lanes on the North and South Quays and private cars will still be preventing from turning right onto O'Connell Bridge.

These measures are due to come into force in August to allow time for the introduction of the Cross City Luas later this year.

Meanwhile, the Council will also consider changing the Liffey Cycleway with boardwalks on Ellis and Arran Quay to take cyclists and pedestrians while cars will still be allowed on the Quays.

The report stated that although modelling had shown little extra traffic being diverted into North City residential areas, there had been a lot of opposition.

The report stated that the boardwalk option will be examined further to see if it is feasible.

Both schemes are due to be discussed by the council's Transport Committee next Wednesday.

However the Dublin For All group which represents a number of businesses in the city centre including car parks, the owners of the 3 Arena and the Temple Bar company, said they were disappointed that the City Council had not agreed to an Environmental Impact Assessment which would have to go to An Bord Pleanála.

A spokesperson for the group said they would now be considering a High Court judicial review.

Meanwhile, the chair of the Council's Transport Committee, Cllr Ciaran Cuffe (Green Party), said he was concerned that allowing cars onto Eden Quay would delay buses and trams.

"We have spent €350m on joining up the Luas lines. I am just worried that a tram with 370 people in it is going to be blocked by a car sitting there with one or two passengers," he said.