A woman has been found guilty of the manslaughter and neglect of her newborn baby girl in a trial at Waterford Circuit Criminal Court.

The baby's body was found at an on-call doctor's service on the Cork Road in Waterford city in April 2018.

It took a jury of eight men and four women three-and-a-half hours to deliver a unanimous verdict on the manslaughter charge and a majority verdict on a separate charge of child neglect.

The date for sentencing is 11 January.

Delivering her closing speech to the jury, senior counsel for the prosecution Fiona Murphy said in simple terms the case brought against the accused was one of gross negligence manslaughter. In law, it is accepted that there is a duty of care owed by a mother to her child.

The prosecution put forward that the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, breached this duty and her negligence was a substantial cause of the baby's death.

Ms Murphy said the prosecution’s case that the placing of the baby in a bin, walking away and not mentioning it was the substantial cause of death of the baby.

Whether she decided to conceal or deny the pregnancy, Ms Murphy argued that it was not a defence to placing the baby in the bin.

Before the birth of the baby at the Caredoc service, there was clear evidence that the woman's mother was making serious efforts to encourage her daughter to engage with medical professionals, but she failed or refused to do so.

There was also evidence of a supportive relationship between the two, despite certain texts brought before the jury.

Regarding the Caredoc visit with her mother and grandmother, Ms Murphy said CCTV evidence showed that the accused was only in the toilet for 13 minutes and within that time she gave birth and the baby was placed in a bin.

She went back to the consultation room, but said nothing to her mother or the doctor, who referred her to University Hospital Waterford (UHW).

The court heard the baby was in the bin for 30 minutes by the time the accused and her mother arrived at UHW. She denied the birth and maintained that she was 25 weeks' pregnant.

Ms Murphy said there had been no adequate explanation as to why no help was sought by the woman, when assistance would have been only ten seconds away in the Caredoc building.

The court heard Dr Annie O’Leary informed Dr Catherine McNestry and somewhere between 6am and 7am they discovered the account given was not true.

At 7.30am, gardaí were notified and they sealed off the bathroom and searched the drains based on the account given by the woman.

The woman gave a statement to Sergeant Maureen Neary of the vulnerable victims unit and Detective Garda Deirdre O’Mahony shortly after 9am.

However, it was not until 1.25pm that afternoon that the body of the full-term baby girl was found in the bin.

Defence counsel Ciaran O'Loughlin described the case as an "unhappy and tragic" one.

Mr O’Loughlin argued that virtually everyone, bar the accused, knew that she was pregnant. On every occasion she denied the pregnancy, but nothing was done by anyone around her.

He said it was entirely wrong to lump the blame solely on the woman.

Dr Michael Curtis, former deputy state pathologist, told the trial earlier that the baby's death was attributable to inattention at birth.

There was no evidence of a blow being struck or of water inhalation.