A 33-year-old convicted killer has been sentenced to 12 years in jail for stabbing his father to death almost three years ago.

David Fortune, of Rutland Grove, Crumlin, in Dublin, went on trial at the Central Criminal Court last year for the murder of his father Gerry Fortune, 62, on 19 August 2018.

He denied murder and subsequently pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Gerry Fortune, who worked in St James's Hospital, was stabbed in the neck in his family home with a knife by his son after watching the All-Ireland hurling final in his living room.

The Central Criminal Court was told that Fortune and a group of others were in a granny flat at the back of the house on the day of the killing for "a day of drinking and drug taking" and that Fortune began hallucinating after taking a number of tablets.

A row broke out and Fortune came into the house to his father who tried to calm him down.

His half-sister, Leone Lambe, who was there during the attack told the court that Fortune shouted at their father: "Da, I’m going to die" but her father replied: "You’re not going to die, son. Nobody is going to die today."

He then swung at his father with a knife and stabbed him in the neck.

As other family members tried to help Gerry Fortune, his son jumped through the front window, hijacked a car from a woman on Rutland Grove and drove to Blanchardstown Hospital where he ran though the hospital.

He was arrested by gardaí who were alerted after he had been given Valium by staff in the emergency department.

Ms Lambe told the court during the sentencing hearing last month, in a victim impact statement, that there were "no winners" regardless of the sentence imposed.

"David will have to live with what he did for the rest of his life, knowing he took the life of a man who only ever showed him love, and that is worse than ten life sentences," she said.

Ms Justice Eileen Creedon said Gerry Fortune posed no threat to anyone and had been enjoying a normal Sunday afternoon in the living room of his home watching the match when he was attacked and killed.

The judge said the probation report showed that Fortune had a capacity for serious violence, showed limited insight and accepts limited responsibility for what he has done and poses a high risk of reoffending.

She sentenced him to 13 years in prison, with the final year suspended.

It is the second time in 15 years that Fortune has been imprisoned for manslaughter.

He was previously jailed in 2006 for eight years for killing another man, Michael Murphy, who was stabbed to death outside the Buda Bar in Blanchardstown on Halloween night in 2004.