A 20-year-old man has gone on trial at the Central Criminal Court for the murder of a 23-year-old man with cerebral palsy, who was stabbed over 180 times in a south Dublin park two years ago.

Philip Dunbar, of Glenshane Drive, Tallaght, Dublin 24, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Adam Muldoon at Butler Park in Tallaght on 22 June or 23 June 2018.

The court also heard that the accused admitted to a friend that he had stabbed the victim.

In her opening statement, prosecuting counsel Pauline Whalley told the jury at the Central Criminal Court that Mr Dunbar was "just a couple of months short" of his 18th birthday at the time of the murder.

The then 17-year-old was in an estate in a Tallaght with a group of others including Mr Muldoon around midnight on the Friday night 22 June 2018.

Mr Muldoon had Cerebral Palsy and walked with a Zimmer frame. A homeless man, he was known to people as "Floater".

He had a difficult childhood and was partly reared in Tallaght and when he became of age he came back to live in Tallaght. 

The court heard he lived with the support of sections of the community who gave him clothes and he stayed in the Glenshane Estate.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

The court heard Mr Muldoon and Mr Dunbar knew one another. They were part of a group of people who had congregated on the green in the Glenshane Estate.

Friday 22 June had been a sunny evening and people were ordering pizza, drinking and "smoking dope".

Ms Whalley said after the food had arrived at around 11.30pm the two men left.

They went to Butler Park, a subsection of Jobstown Park, where the prosecution claims Mr Dunbar stabbed Mr Muldoon 183 times. 

Mr Muldoon had defensive wounds on his hands, he was stabbed in the head, body, abdomen and neck and three of the neck wounds were immediately fatal, the prosecution counsel said.

His body was found the following morning, Saturday 23 June, at 6.30am by a man out walking his dog.

The prosecution says that after the murder Mr Dunbar went to a friend's house and told him he had stabbed "Floater" a number of times.

The trial continues.