A man involved in a fatal crash in Co Meath three years ago has been convicted of causing the collision that claimed the life of his girlfriend.

Kenneth Darby, 29, with an address at Ashfield, Clonard, Co Meath, had pleaded not guilty to dangerous driving causing the death of Jenna-Eve Smyth.

She died on 18 June 2016 at Kilmurray, Enfield, on the Kinnegad to Enfield road.

The couple were on their way to a GAA fundraiser in Enfield on the night of the crash.

The trial at Trim Circuit Court heard the defendant's car, a silver 2004 Volkswagen Bora, had rounded a gentle sweeping bend and had been on the wrong side of the road when it crashed sideways into the front of an oncoming black 2005 Renault Megane.

Ms Smyth was the front seat passenger in the defendant's car.

Emer France Alhadri, who was driving the Megane towards Maynooth, told prosecuting counsel Carl Hanahoe that the crash occurred at around 8.55pm.

She said the Bora was halfway over the white line when it came round the bend and "then went like a snake left and right three times as if the driver was trying to take control of the car".

She said she thought the other car was going to tumble on top of her.

"My initial reaction was: I hope he doesn't hit me. As he got closer I thought I was going to die. I slammed on the brakes and heard a bang," she said.

Paramedics who attended the scene told the court the defendant had been able to talk when taken from his car, but the victim had been unresponsive.

In a later statement to gardaí, Darby said he had collected Ms Smyth from her work in Mullingar earlier that evening and dropped her home to Killucan to get ready for a night out in Enfield.

He said he returned home and was to collect her later. He said he did not remember picking her up at her home and only remembered waking up in hospital.

He said he could not understand why he had been going in the Kinnegad direction at the time of the crash as he should have been driving in the Enfield direction.

Gardaí who examined the scene and the two cars involved told the court the road had been wet and greasy on the night following recent rain and neither car had been mechanically defective.

The court heard that neither occupant in the defendant's car had been wearing seat belts.

Garda Thomas Brennan, the forensic collision investigator, said he concluded the crash was due to driver error.

He said the defendant's car was going in a sideways manner and he concluded that Darby had lost control of the vehicle.

It took the jury just under two hours to return a unanimous guilty verdict this afternoon.

Addressing the court after the verdict, Des Smyth described Jenna-Eve - his youngest daughter - as "the most lovable little girl" who "stole the heart of everyone she met, young and old".

"I miss her to bits, it's hard to live without her," he said.

Mr Smyth told the court how Jenna-Eve had gone to university and was working in his shop while saving for a Masters.

"Everybody loved her, the customers would tell me how lovely and friendly she was.

"On the Friday before the crash, she was offered a job in Galway but she died the following day.

"I will never get over the loss of my little girl, she was the best girl in the world," he said.

Darby was remanded on continuing bail, to appear in court on 31 October for sentencing.